Slogging the Annisquam and surprising an honorable Vet

subaruguru

Leon and I launched from the Gloucester HS, soon enjoying a confused but mostly free ride up the Annisquam to Wingersheek (sp?), stopping for what seemed like an early lunch in the rare warmth of this December day.

However... the slog back down seemed relentless as we battled 20-25 kn continuous winds, finally putting in achy yet satisfied. Leon Grabbed a buoy for a quick rest while I caught up, estimating the combined current and wind drag at about 50lbs pull!

We met a fine old (90yr) gent putting out corn along the shore for the birds, stating his surprise at our extensive protective garb. I explained that we try to better the 90% return rule, and with just two of us stood pretty well against Neptune.

His retort about it being only 20% for him as a paratrooper back in '44 piqued my curiosity enough to get him to open up about his time with the 82nd Airborne in Belgium, where only a lucky fifth returned. He seemed surprised that we "boys" had any knowledge of his experience, so I recounted as well the little I know of my father's duty in Normandy/Belgium/Germany as a sharpshooter with Hodge's First Division. He remembered that the "Big Red One" had as high an attrition rate as well.

Interestingly he's never seen Saving private Ryan...or any other war film...and rarely speaks of his military experiences. Wish I'd have taken more time to buy him coffee...I'm still seeking my deceased Dad's story....

Thanks to Leon again for knowing where and how get out there in a safe manner appropriate for the conditions, and doggedly leading a spirited path. I imagined we would've REALLY been blown around launching from Tuck's or Lane's.

Leon and I launched from the Gloucester HS, soon enjoying a confused but mostly free ride up the Annisquam to Wingersheek (sp?), stopping for what seemed like an early lunch in the rare warmth of this December day.

However... the slog back down seemed relentless as we battled 20-25 kn continuous winds, finally putting in achy yet satisfied. Leon Grabbed a buoy for a quick rest while I caught up, estimating the combined current and wind drag at about 50lbs pull!

We met a fine old (90yr) gent putting out corn along the shore for the birds, stating his surprise at our extensive protective garb. I explained that we try to better the 90% return rule, and with just two of us stood pretty well against Neptune.

His retort about it being only 20% for him as a paratrooper back in '44 piqued my curiosity enough to get him to open up about his time with the 82nd Airborne in Belgium, where only a lucky fifth returned. He seemed surprised that we "boys" had any knowledge of his experience, so I recounted as well the little I know of my father's duty in Normandy/Belgium/Germany as a sharpshooter with Hodge's First Division. He remembered that the "Big Red One" had as high an attrition rate as well.

Interestingly he's never seen Saving private Ryan...or any other war film...and rarely speaks of his military experiences. Wish I'd have taken more time to buy him coffee...I'm still seeking my deceased Dad's story....

Thanks to Leon again for knowing where and how get out there in a safe manner appropriate for the conditions, and doggedly leading a spirited path. I imagined we would've REALLY been blown around launching from Tuck's or Lane's.

The 50 lb. pull was with the boat sideways to the wind and current. Even Ern couldn't have msde headway against a 50 lb. static drag.

Hi Ern, I also enjoyed your report -- your encounter in particular; goes to show that you never know what you'll experience once you choose to step outside your door... You may already know of it, but Studs Terkel compiled a book of war vet's experiences ("The Good War"), and of course PBS had the incredible documentary series last year. That generation was not one to open up about those experiences; I remember being 10 years old, riding in the back of our car with my mom and her gentlemen friend who I'd considered rather boring, when he astonished me by telling stories about dive-bombing Japanese ships in the Pacific! -- S.

Leon and I launched from the Gloucester HS...