Sat 8/16 or Sun 8/17 Hull, Boston Light, Harbor Islands

alcoons

For the last couple of years we have paddled out to Boston Light (usually making it). Originally launching from Hingham Harbor but more recently from Windmill Point at Hull Gut. Windmill Point, while a longer drive, puts us as close to the Harbor Islands and Boston Light as possible.

Day: Either Saturday 8/16 or Sunday 8/17 depending on weather and those interested availability. Please respond so I know your desires, but I would prefer to go Saturday if possible due to other commitments on Sunday.

Time: Discussion: 9:15, Butts in Boats Launch 9:30 AM (let me know how you feel about this). Plan ahead. This is a long drive for many.

Put-in: Windmill Point at Hull Gull (See Put-ins/Directions)

Possible Routes: Will depend on the day and conditions. Certainly go to Boston Light if possible, land but not take the tour. Have continued onto Graves under optimal conditions and group, but not often. Certainly is not the goal of this trip. Will explore the Harbor Islands, perhaps including a walk to historic sites (40 minutes). If conditions are big, we have the option to paddle the inside islands.

Level: 3. Pace and expectations moderate. 10-15 miles roundtrip. Often involves waves and wind. There is significant current in Hull Gut, but we have always avoided it by staying along the shore and/or crossing well down or up stream.

Type: CAM with expectations that we all stay together and work together.

Tide: Sat: High 11:47 AM, Sun: High 12:24 PM

Requires a minimum of three confirmed experienced paddlers. Stay tuned here for confirmation and/or changes.

Al

Cetus

Red/White

Al,

I plan to be there. Playing chicken with speed boats was so much fun last week, I'd like another go at them. Either day works for me.

Blaine

Update:

Things are in flux.

1) My sister from Philadelphia will be in town Sunday, so I can only paddle Saturday.

2) Weather reports suggests chance of rain/thunderstorms Saturday morning & then clearing. Spectacular weather for Sunday.

3) While there are enough people to go Saturday, two people more people emailed me that they cannot go Saturday but can go Sunday.

4) Launching Saturday at 9:30 puts us paddling against the last 1/3 of the tide if we head to Boston Light. If a trip went on Sunday, launching Sunday at 9:30 puts the group paddling against a stronger tide if they head to Boston Light.

So, we are left with some indecision at this point, particularly since the it is a long way out to depend on the weather report. The safe answer is for someone else to run this trip or another one on Sunday. Please don't hesitate to do that. It might make it easier on everyone.

I will look at the responses or lack there of to the above and the updated weather late tomorrow afternoon and make some kind of decision if necessary from my standpoint.

Sorry about this, but I no longer can control the weather the way I could when I was younger.

Al

The safe answer is for someone else to run this trip or another one on Sunday. Please don't hesitate to do that. It might make it easier on everyone.

Sounds like the reasonable thing to do. For the record I most likely wouldn't have done sunday either. There is always next time!

Sounds like the reasonable thing to do. For the record I most likely wouldn't have done sunday either. There is always next time!

Weather report for Saturday morning continues to be negative. I think I will cancel the trip at this point to allow others to plan.

Al