Rockport area paddle this weekend

bbjorn

I'm interested in paddling this weekend in the Rockport area of Cape Ann. Ideally 10 - 15 miles along the coast, either Saturday or Sunday. Saturday appears the better bet weatherwise. I'm totally flexible in terms of distance, put-in, round-trip vs. point to point with shuttle, etc. One interesting possibility would be from Lane's Cove around Halibut Point to Granite Pier (about 13 mi. roundtrip). This will be a CAM trip, as I have not paddled this area before.

Anyone else have a similar interest? If so, let's discuss and come up with a trip. The summer will be gone before we know it, and you'll wish you had paddled more!

Blaine Bjornstad

If you go just a little further to BearSkin neck, you can have ice cream there prior to your return. You can land on the beach right at the ice cream shop (I forget the name of it), but it is here. You land in the little cove there on the west side. When recruiting paddlers, ice cream always get their interest. :) That is a nice paddle, done it many times.

One interesting possibility would be from Lane's Cove around Halibut Point to Granite Pier (about 13 mi. roundtrip).

Unless I did my measurements quite wrong, that's not 13 nm (or even statute miles). I recently got 13 nm from Lanes Cove to Thatcher Island and back, which is quite a bit farther.

Ok, I remeasured exactly the Lanes to Rockport Harbor round trip -- 8-9 nm. Knock off more than a mile for Granite Pier.

--David.

Thanks for the ice cream tip, Bill. I'm going to add that one to my chart -- once I find where to buy them. I've called around to various marine supply dealers without much luck so far. Any advice?

David -- thanks for the corrections to my distance measurements. I was relying on a book of paddle trips in NE Mass., using their figures. In their defense, though, it's possible my math was a bit off. At least it's better to overestimate than underestimate when it comes to figuring paddling distance!

David -- thanks for the corrections to my distance measurements. I was relying on a book of paddle trips in NE Mass., using their figures.

De nada. If you had your muscles set for 13nm, I do recommend the Lanes - Straistsmouth - Thatcher - Straitsmouth - Rockport - Lanes paddle, with ice cream on the Rockport stop before home. Just watch out for those red ants on Thatcher -- if one gets you, you'll be scratching for days.

Head for the public landing pier on Thatcher, which is about mid-island (on the northwest facing side) as you approach from Straitsmouth. And be careful of the slippery boards on the bottom of the pier.

Sorry I can't join you, but I gotta work Saturday (and I just did this route last week).

--David.