Salem Sound 7/19

bazzert

Thought it was a good example of what a CAM trip can be. Cooperative decisions, sensitivity to purpose of the trip and the skills of those who participated. I know some people wanted to go faster and/or longer, but others were very tired by the end of the day.

For those of you that were not along, as you can see from the route map, given the predictions of increasing southwest winds and thunderstorms, midday launch time, adverse tide, and the advertised 2+ to 3 transition paddle, we decided to follow the lea shores. On the way back we headed out into Salem Sound a bit (3/4 mile?), but conditions rapidly increased. Part of the group spotted a kayaker (not in our group) in trouble. We split the group with seven heading back to the put-in. It seemed safest to paddle directly back to the lea-shore and then trace our outbound route back (do not think the map reflects this group). Everyone did a great job working and staying together.

Can Kevin or anyone in the "rescue group" of 4 tell us about the paddler in trouble?

Sorry Tom and I had to leave before saying goodbye, but one of us needed to be back home for a commitment.

Al

Cetus: red/white

Thought it was a good example of what a CAM trip can be. Cooperative decisions, sensitivity to purpose of the trip and the skills of those who participated. I know some people wanted to go faster and/or longer, but others were very tired by the end of the day.

For those of you that were not along, as you can see from the route map, given the predictions of increasing southwest winds and thunderstorms, midday launch time, adverse tide, and the advertised 2+ to 3 transition paddle, we decided to follow the lea shores. On the way back we headed out into Salem Sound a bit (3/4 mile?), but conditions rapidly increased. Part of the group spotted a kayaker (not in our group) in trouble. We split the group with seven heading back to the put-in. It seemed safest to paddle directly back to the lea-shore and then trace our outbound route back (do not think the map reflects this group). Everyone did a great job working and staying together.

Can Kevin or anyone in the "rescue group" of 4 tell us about the paddler in trouble?

Sorry Tom and I had to leave before saying goodbye, but one of us needed to be back home for a commitment.

Al

Cetus: red/white

Ok, here it is. As the full group paddled towards Gray's Rock, I barely spotted a kayaker coming towards us in the rough water. I paddled over to him to find that it wasn't an adult, but a 13 year old boy on a sit on top kayak. I asked if he were alone, and he said no, there was someone else coming behind him. After much squinting, I could see his friend a good .33nm behind. I rejoined the group since I saw both of them paddling and informed those around me of what I had found out. As we watched the second paddler, we noticed him stop paddling, as if tired or discouraged. It was then that a few in the group wanted to check on the paddler further away. Three of our group went towards the paddler, at which point the remainder in our group realized that none of the three had a radio on them (we had a done a radio count at the start). It was then that I joined the "rescue" group and Al led the remaining seven back to the put in.

The other 3 in the rescue group were just reaching the second paddler when he capsized. It was then that we found out that he too was around 13. So, we now have 2, 13yr old kids in 7 ft sit on tops (with pfds) trying to paddle against 15kt sustained with 20kt gusts and against the ebb, with one stuck in the channel and very discouraged. Neither SOT had decklines or even bungees and only one had a toggle. It was decided that one of our four would act as the middle boat with a SOT rafted to each side. We then set up a tandem tow with the one remaining paddler free of the tow just in case he was needed. From that point on, it was a slog into the wind in very confused seas. We towed them into Dolliber Cove back to their put in. We hypothesized that they had set out for Children's and found it easy with the wind at their backs but found it much more difficult on the return trip. Congrats to Blaine, Marc and Jahn (man, sorry about the spelling :blink:) on a great rescue. Please add or correct anything I might have missed in my recollection.

Here's a link to the gps track for today's trip. 10 statute miles (including the rock play). Thanks, in particular, to Kevin and Al.

Barry.

salemsound719zw1.th.jpg

A few pics...sorry there aren't more but I always forget that I have a camera and G usually takes them. But, no, she had to take the day off yesterday;)

(D*mn, posted still logged in as Gillian)

post-100402-1216592194_thumb.jpg

post-100402-1216592209_thumb.jpg

post-100402-1216592230_thumb.jpg

A few pics...sorry there aren't more but I always forget that I have a camera and G usually takes them. But, no, she had to take the day off yesterday;)

(D*mn, posted still logged in as Gillian)

I forgot to mention that it was great to see everyone playing in the rocks a little, or getting used to the chop, maneuvering in the wind, etc., etc. Vadim has turned into a madman in the rocks ;), while Marc, Carolyn, Blaine, and so many more pushed their limits just a bit, all the time with big smiles :)

Thanks to Al, Judy and Tom for helping out.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jul 20 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, here it is. As the full group paddled towards Gray's Rock, I barely spotted a kayaker coming towards us in the rough water. I paddled over to him to find that it wasn't an adult, but a 13 year old boy on a sit on top kayak. I asked if he were alone, and he said no, there was someone else coming behind him. After much squinting, I could see his friend a good .33nm behind. I rejoined the group since I saw both of them paddling and informed those around me of what I had found out. As we watched the second paddler, we noticed him stop paddling, as if tired or discouraged. It was then that a few in the group wanted to check on the paddler further away. Three of our group went towards the paddler, at which point the remainder in our group realized that none of the three had a radio on them (we had a done a radio count at the start). It was then that I joined the "rescue" group and Al led the remaining seven back to the put in.

The other 3 in the rescue group were just reaching the second paddler when he capsized. It was then that we found out that he too was around 13. So, we now have 2, 13yr old kids in 7 ft sit on tops (with pfds) trying to paddle against 15kt sustained with 20kt gusts and against the ebb, with one stuck in the channel and very discouraged. Neither SOT had decklines or even bungees and only one had a toggle. It was decided that one of our four would act as the middle boat with a SOT rafted to each side. We then set up a tandem tow with the one remaining paddler free of the tow just in case he was needed. From that point on, it was a slog into the wind in very confused seas. We towed them into Dolliber Cove back to their put in. We hypothesized that they had set out for Children's and found it easy with the wind at their backs but found it much more difficult on the return trip. Congrats to Blaine, Marc and Jahn (man, sorry about the spelling :blink:) on a great rescue. Please add or correct anything I might have missed in my recollection.

Kevin,

I hope those kiddos will one day appreciate what you did for them. It also goes to show that one should expect any sort of help from the motor boats speeding around the bay.

Thanks.