Solstice Paddle Level 2

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

After a CAM beach briefing carried out by Gillian and Brian, 24 paddlers set out from Riverhead Beach around noontime destined for Brown Island immediately outside Marblehead Harbor. Lisa set the relatively quick pace as others chose a closer shore route, meandering among the rocks and docks. With little difficulty, the group found itself outside the harbor and heading for Doliber Cove. As Brian took the group into the cove, I enticed Gillian to try out her new Avocet among the rocks. (I'll be honest and open here...I never tire hearing her giggle any time an ocean swell takes her be surprise.)

We entered the cove next to Brown island and quickly located the group. At this point, I offered to take those who were willing on a basic rock gardening experience. With the tide rising and relatively small swells coming in, there would be plenty of opportunities off of Brown island for a little fun with minimal risk. The majority of the group decided to follow me out (I don't know what they were thinking;) with the remainder choosing to take a break on the beach.

Once back out in the open, we hugged Brown island, with a few in the group following me closer to the rocks. The water near the rocks was definitely beyond the comfort range for most self-described level 2 paddlers, but the group seemed to enjoy the experience. Barry, Sid and Suwin in particular come to mind. At one point, we found a small passage to traverse with swells coming through. I went first, followed by Al. We then enticed;) those who were willing to try it. Sid went next, followed by Barry. Suwin went third just as a larger than normal swell came through. She handled it beautifully with a great low brace, but alas she held the low brace a tad too long and when the water level dropped, so did she. Out of her boat she came and it was rescue time! :) I grabbed her boat and backpaddled out as Al performed a stern tow of Suwin away from the rocks. A quick t-rescue and she was back in her boat and all smiles. Al and I conferred and thought it best to head back in to regroup with the those on the beach;).

Once on the beach, dark clouds began to rear their ugly, anvil shaped heads. In the spirit of CAM, the group decided to head back. The winds picked up considerably as we left the beach, making for some great lumpy water right before the turn into the harbor. Brian led the way back in with the majority of the group, while Al, Gillian and myself hung back. One paddler was towed into the harbor by Gay and given the uncertainty of the storm, G and I tandem towed another paddler into Riverhead. Boy, can G tow! Too bad she always has to use her skeg;)

Overall, a very enjoyable trip with rock play, rescues, tows and best of all, great company.

Wait, weren't we on Crowninshield Island, not Brown? Oh well who cares, it's CAM anyway, who the hell needs a chart or a headcount!!! :captain: Plus I think it was 22 people so we came back with 24ish - I say that's a good day! Better than coming back with 20!

Also! I would like to state for the record that my skeg was BROKEN so I did not use it!!!! Mellow Yellow loved her maiden voyage and some confused seas and wind . . . she is a pleasure to paddle!!!

Also Kevin said I looked hot towing, so if anyone needs a tow anywhere let me know, I'm your girl, but you need to take pics so I can show him :roll:

Wait, weren't we on Crowninshield Island, not Brown? Oh well who cares, it's CAM anyway, who the hell needs a chart or a headcount!!! :captain: Plus I think it was 22 people so we came back with 24ish - I say that's a good day! Better than coming back with 20!

Also! I would like to state for the record that my skeg was BROKEN so I did not use it!!!! Mellow Yellow loved her maiden voyage and some confused seas and wind . . . she is a pleasure to paddle!!!

Also Kevin said I looked hot towing, so if anyone needs a tow anywhere let me know, I'm your girl, but you need to take pics so I can show him :roll:

I think I had my transverse lead skeg down...or maybe the fat-ass buffer was working, but I could not keep up with G even though she was towing...well maybe paddling with both arms helped later on. Seriously, great job to all the paddlers - good decisions, good fun, and good non-leadership (since there are no leaders) from B, G and Bill.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jun 23 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At one point, we found a small passage to traverse with swells coming through. I went first, followed by Al. We then enticed;) those who were willing to try it. Sid went next, followed by Barry. Suwin went third just as a larger than normal swell came through. She handled it beautifully with a great low brace, but alas she held the low brace a tad too long and when the water level dropped, so did she. Out of her boat she came and it was rescue time! :) I grabbed her boat and backpaddled out as Al performed a stern tow of Suwin away from the rocks. A quick t-rescue and she was back in her boat and all smiles.

Hmmm...Is that what really happened?

Thanks for the positive spin, Kevin. :roll: And thanks to Al for the great rescue. :cheer: