Season wish list

JohnHuth

I'm in the middle of a week of recitals, graduations, a prom, parties, honorary dinners....and more or less stuck for the time being. Just to kill time and maybe see if anyone is interested, I'm writing down my wish list of trips I'm interested in...

1.) Woods Hole - Cutty Hunk and return: can only do this when the tides are right.

2.) Woods Hole - Martha's Vineyard and return - something I've always wanted to do

3.) Jonesport to Machiasport - last leg of the Maine Island Trail

4.) Petit Manaan (or closest put in) to or from Mt. Dessert

My "whopper" dream trip, which I don't think I'd do this year, is a circumnav. of Nantucket Sound - probably on the "inside" of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I've slowly been accumulating info from reliable sources on the Monomoy-Nantucket crossing and how to do the Nantucket-Martha's jump. Any info folks have on these would be appreciated.

Lacking that - there's a lot of paddling around the Monomoys (can I still use plural?).

I'm in the middle of a week of recitals, graduations, a prom, parties, honorary dinners....and more or less stuck for the time being. Just to kill time and maybe see if anyone is interested, I'm writing down my wish list of trips I'm interested in...

1.) Woods Hole - Cutty Hunk and return: can only do this when the tides are right.

2.) Woods Hole - Martha's Vineyard and return - something I've always wanted to do

3.) Jonesport to Machiasport - last leg of the Maine Island Trail

4.) Petit Manaan (or closest put in) to or from Mt. Dessert

My "whopper" dream trip, which I don't think I'd do this year, is a circumnav. of Nantucket Sound - probably on the "inside" of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I've slowly been accumulating info from reliable sources on the Monomoy-Nantucket crossing and how to do the Nantucket-Martha's jump. Any info folks have on these would be appreciated.

Lacking that - there's a lot of paddling around the Monomoys (can I still use plural?).

I've also always wanted to do the WH to MV roundtrip. Same with WH to Cuttyhunk. I'm in Falmouth most weekends, so I'd be willing to do it virtually anytime the weather and tides line up.

Just trying to figure some dates for a WH -Cuttyhunk and return - start around 6 - 7 MA from WH when the current is just about to turn - 2 hours after ebb starts at Pollack Rip

June 20th or 21st (not great for me, but there's some dates)

July 19th or 20th

Aug 17th or 18th

Aug 31st or Sept 1st

I don't know what people consider the best tide conditions to do WH-MV - maybe arriving at MV at slack tide?

Just trying to figure some dates for a WH -Cuttyhunk and return - start around 6 - 7 MA from WH when the current is just about to turn - 2 hours after ebb starts at Pollack Rip

June 20th or 21st (not great for me, but there's some dates)

July 19th or 20th

Aug 17th or 18th

Aug 31st or Sept 1st

I don't know what people consider the best tide conditions to do WH-MV - maybe arriving at MV at slack tide?

Of all those dates, my preference would be July 19 or 20, but I could do any of them.

I'm also not sure the best tides to do MV. Since the tide would be flowing perpendicular to the course of travel I believe the weakest tides would be the best. Arriving on the slack would probably ensure fairly weak tides in both directions as long as we don't spend too much time dilly dallying before returning. Returning on the flood tide would ensure that if anything, we are pushed toward Falmouth (ie, civilization) rather than the Elizabeth Islands (ie, the wilderness).

I think I may shoot for the 19th or 20th of July for a WH-Cuttyhunk venture. That gives me a bit of time to tune up ny long distance cadence (too much sprinting in early season so far).

As far as WH-MV - I've heard that the Middle Ground can be a bit challenging when the tide's running - but so are the chops on the entrance to MV.

I think I may shoot for the 19th or 20th of July for a WH-Cuttyhunk venture. That gives me a bit of time to tune up ny long distance cadence (too much sprinting in early season so far).

As far as WH-MV - I've heard that the Middle Ground can be a bit challenging when the tide's running - but so are the chops on the entrance to MV.

I've been through Middle Ground many times in other boats, but never a kayak. I'm sure it would be challenging.

I'll put Cuttyhunk on my calendar for July 19 or 20. This would be the longest trip I've ever done so I will need time to tune up myself. I also don't want to slow down you and whoever else joins you, so we may need to talk in more detail about expectations.