Paddle this weekend?

kevinfre

I was wondering if I could interest anyone in some paddling this weekend. My preference would be Monday, with Saturday as a second choice.

A couple of possibilities I had in mind were Marblehead to Salem Harbor and back, or maybe Misery Island, putting in at Lynch Park in Beverly. I have limited experience planning for tides & currents, so maybe someone could point me to a good place for that information, or just warn me if those trips are a bad idea for those days.

A few other things to mention:

Obviously this is a CAM trip, so I'm not the leader, just the initiator (taking a first step under this new system).

This will be my first paddle of the season.

I've practiced rescues in flat water but have not done one for real, although I think I could manage it in moderate conditions.

Any interest in those trips or other trips of about the same difficulty, please post here.

Thanks,

Kevin Fredette

A couple of possibilities I had in mind were Marblehead to Salem Harbor and back, or maybe Misery Island, putting in at Lynch Park in Beverly. I have limited experience planning for tides & currents, so maybe someone could point me to a good place for that information, or just warn me if those trips are a bad idea for those days.

Thanks,

Kevin Fredette

Kevin,

There are lots of sites like it, but I like : www.maineharbors.com/

as it has tide charts for Maine/ NH/ Mass. and you can get marine and general weather forecast info. quickly and easily.

Hi Kevin:

If you go out saturday I'd be interested (will be in Maine on monday). Here is the tide chart for May http://www.boatma.com/tides/mayblt08.html low tide is at 9am on Sat and 10:22am on Mon. This might not be good for putting in at Lynch park as the mud flats are uncovered (anyone know how bad this really is ?).

Marine weather for Boston here http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/250.html and Buoy data for day of trip check http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44013

Barry.

I am still interested in going out this weekend. Monday looks like it would be the best bet for me. The predicted conditions for Monday are increased from Saturday:

SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING S 20 TO 25 KT UNTIL LATE

EVENING...THEN BECOMING SW 15 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO

5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AND

OVERNIGHT.

Monday would be a good day to do Deveraux beach, Marblehead around Peaches Point and into Salem. The waters are more protected.

Let me know what people are planning.

Shaila

I am still interested in going out this weekend. Monday looks like it would be the best bet for me. The predicted conditions for Monday are increased from Saturday:

SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING S 20 TO 25 KT UNTIL LATE

EVENING...THEN BECOMING SW 15 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO

5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AND

OVERNIGHT.

Monday would be a good day to do Deveraux beach, Marblehead around Peaches Point and into Salem. The waters are more protected.

Let me know what people are planning.

Shaila

Hi Shaila,

I think you mean Riverhead Beach to Peaches over to Salem, as Deveraux is on the ocean side of Marblehead. Riverhead is on the sheltered, harbor side.

A SW wind would direct towards the sea.

Deb M :roll: