Salem Sound SNG Friday 1/11

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Jan 9 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Short paddle if anyone is interested. Usual SNG rules apply. Great for those who haven't been out winter paddling before and want to paddle a short amount of time.

Hello Kevin,

I'm new to the NSPN. I registered and purchased a family membership today.

I have no experience paddling in very cold weather. My wife and I have more than a year of experience with coastal sea kayaking and I've had a safety course. I was hooked on it they very first time I was in the swell.

You seem pretty active in this organization and you have a lot of experience too. I’m looking for some hard core paddlers that I can practice with in the winter and can go out on the weekdays. Most of the time on weekends or vacations in the warm weather we do trips along the coast between anywhere between Worlds End, MA and Bar Harbor, ME., but I’d love today do more challenging day trips without my wife in higher seas and winds and colder temps on weekdays. I’m also looking forward to learning how to launch and land through the surf.

I’m also very interested in BCU or ACA certification courses and I hope I can find out more about were they are offered and what to take. I would also consider private lessons and practicing in a pool this winter would be great, but I’ve procrastinated about doing some research and trying to make some contacts to further my ability in the sport until today.

Also can you recommend a good dry suit and a place to purchase it? I imagine that if I subscribe to this and/or others boards I'll hear about winter trips. I'd consider going out around Salem tomorrow if I could cop a dry suit that quickly but we are due for about 1/2 in of rain. I’m not that hard core, YET.

Thanks,

Sid Cohen

Sid,

Welcome!

If you go to an NSPN pool session or two , you'll meet people, and in between having fun in the pool, there's lots of time to talk about gear, drysuits, boats , BCU and ACA classes, paddling destinations, and generally get advice from people. Most if not all pool sessions are sure to have someone there with BCU and/or ACA experience, and who paddles in the winter.

Pool sessions are found in the calendar section. See you soon, we hope.

Peter

Hello Kevin,

I'm new to the NSPN. I registered and purchased a family membership today.

I have no experience paddling in very cold weather. My wife and I have more than a year of experience with coastal sea kayaking and I've had a safety course. I was hooked on it they very first time I was in the swell.

You seem pretty active in this organization and you have a lot of experience too. I’m looking for some hard core paddlers that I can practice with in the winter and can go out on the weekdays. Most of the time on weekends or vacations in the warm weather we do trips along the coast between anywhere between Worlds End, MA and Bar Harbor, ME., but I’d love today do more challenging day trips without my wife in higher seas and winds and colder temps on weekdays. I’m also looking forward to learning how to launch and land through the surf.

I’m also very interested in BCU or ACA certification courses and I hope I can find out more about were they are offered and what to take. I would also consider private lessons and practicing in a pool this winter would be great, but I’ve procrastinated about doing some research and trying to make some contacts to further my ability in the sport until today.

Also can you recommend a good dry suit and a place to purchase it? I imagine that if I subscribe to this and/or others boards I'll hear about winter trips. I'd consider going out around Salem tomorrow if I could cop a dry suit that quickly but we are due for about 1/2 in of rain. I’m not that hard core, YET.

Thanks,

Sid Cohen

Hey Sid,

Welcome to NSPN! Both Bob and Peter offer good advice in re drysuits and pool sessions. I would really stress following Peter's advice and go to the pool sessions. There is no better place to meet NSPN paddlers, practice skills and pick up some new skills.

As for winter paddling opportunities look for my transition paddles, usually called L2 to L3 transition paddles. I gear these for those with similar experience to yours.

As for BCU and ACA, if you ask that question on the site, you'll get a whole range of answers. Your best bet is to educate yourself on what's available by going to bcuna.com or acanet.org. Unless you can travel during the winter, you not likely to find any courses offered until late Spring / early summer in this area.

Once again, welcome to NSPN and I look forward to paddling with you!