Mystic Lake Cleanup -- Again this Spring

djlewis

Last Spring NSPN ran a very successful half-day cleanup of the Upper Mystic Lake shoreline, the spot where we hold the popular Tuesday practice sessions. We blew away the MDC folks with the amount of trash bagged. Big swaths of the shoreline really felt a lot cleaner and clearer as a result of our efforts.

So, are folks up for doing it again? There's lots of shoreline we did not get to, and a full year of use has probably put a fair amount of trash back. Anybody who used Mystic for practice last year could consider it a morning well spent to repay the community for use of the resource. Just think what we could accomplish if even half the people who came to Tuesday practice sessions pitched in! It's a good time as well as a good deed, and very rewarding to see the ground turn pristine as the bags fill up! It makes even being on the water feel a lot clearer.

The date is flexible, but will most likely be on the weekend of April 24-25. We'll pick one by consensus that suits the most people who are interested.

Like last year, we could follow the cleanup with a paddle downstream to Medford and Somerville

Please express interest by responding here or to my e-mail, djlewis aht triadic daht cahm.

--David.

Last year's announcement: http://triadic.com/Mystic2003

Pictures from last year's cleanup: http://triadic.com/Mystic2003/pictures.htm

Here's some of the trash we collected

While still on the ground...

http://triadic.com/Mystic2003/full/Image008.jpg

and after bagging...

http://triadic.com/Mystic2003/full/Image043.jpg

Hello David,

Any chance of choosing the week before or the week after? I'd love to do it again this year, unfortuantely, I have to be in Burlington, VT that weekend (May 1-2)for a family event. Cathy

> Any chance of choosing the week before or the week after?

Absolutely! In fact, any time from mid-April to mid-May is fine. I picked that day because it coincides with the Mystic River Festival, which gives us a place to go and show off our space suits afterwards. But that's no big deal... we can paddle anywhere afterwards, or not even do that.

So, if anybody is refraining from volunteering because of the date, don't worry about it. Let's get a group together and then pick a date by consensus that will exclude the fewest people. I imagine earlier is better, as it collides less with the beginning of warmer water, or at least less-cold water.

--David.

I go to the practice sessions at Mystic Lakes and often walk and swim my dogs along the banks/shores of the lakes--so I should help clean up--I'll be there--les

Hi, Shane:

Great! It was a good time last year, right.

Actually, we decided to leave the date open, with a lean toward the preceding weekend, April 24-25. When a few more folks have signed on, we'll take a poll and see which date is best for the most.

We also want to keep an eye on Trip Leader Training events, to avoid conflicts if possible.

--David.

Fair enough - shoulda read more carefully, I guess...

The preceding weekend looks good too right now. I'll be there if at all possible. Please let me know.

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

Hey - I shoulda mentioned this as well.

Count the entire Smith "clan" in. EIGHT hands are certainly better than two. The six year old will have a blast and probably show us all up with his unfocused energy.

Hard to find a better hands-on preservation lesson than this.

_Shane

"Would a knife help protect you against a ‘curious’ shark? I don’t know but I would like the option." - Trevor Gardner

I'm in, although I have a few commitments in April that are still date pending. April 24th looks free right now, and should remain that way, though. Sorry I can't be more committal at this time.

I volunteer with OE (NSPN helps their kayaking programs out), and that could be the weekend that volunteer training is happening (I am volunteering to help with volunteer training).

Just talking about the Mystic Lake clean up gets me excited for spring! See you all soon.

-Bri

"We are all 80% salt water, aren't we?" - Anonymous