Gloucester Saturday 9/22

RogerPollock

Good Harbor Beach

Messing around.

9 a.m. start

Experiential for me, experimental for Bob who'll be givng a go in the surf in his WW boat.

Surf predicted moderate 2.5/3 feet. Seas 3-5 predicted by NOAA. Plenty of fun in a kayak.

We'll be bringing long boats and short boats. The idea being to see how the surf is, maybe surf for a while and see how it goes, then maybe take the long boats out for a paddle, or maybe surf those, too. Who knows . . . No big, firm, grandiose plans.

Come bring a long boat, or, if you want, try my short boat. I'm sure we'll be in the surf a few hours anyway, so if 9 a.m.'s too early, no biggie, show up a little later. Water and air will be warm. Be ready to capsize and swim and have fun.

Take your first right after the main entrance to Good Harbor, and park in the sand along the road. Residents only sticker parking, but they won't bother you off season. Yee-haw, it's the off-season again!!

Roger-

My wife and I will likely join you. From your description, you'll be parking at the NE end of the beach off of Witham Street? We'll bring long and short boats. Sounds like its a surfing day!

Phil (and Lorrie) Allen

Hi,

This looks fun! I'm not sure if I've got the right kinda boat and experience though...I've never done this surfing thing with a kayak, but would love to try!

I've got a 12.5 Perception Acadia, more of a recreational boat really.

I'm a new member with about 10 paddles this summer, and several before that. I've got wet exit skills, and beginner rescue skills.

Thanks!

Monika

Hi,

This looks fun! I'm not sure if I've got the right kinda boat and experience though...I've never done this surfing thing with a kayak, but would love to try!

I've got a 12.5 Perception Acadia, more of a recreational boat really.

I'm a new member with about 10 paddles this summer, and several before that. I've got wet exit skills, and beginner rescue skills.

Thanks!

Monika

Hi Monika;

You will be okay in your boat, but if I remember, you didn't have a spray skirt. Without that it will get filled with water. But you can just empty it and get back in. As we talked in Gloucester, you boat will be less able to edge into the waves than a sea kayak, but it can't hurt seeing what you can do with your boat. See you there!

Brian

I'll be there, but not at 9. That is an indecent hour on a Saturday (at least to me) to be completely wide awake. So I hope to be there about 10 and I hope there will still be people surfing.

I assume people should bring helmets if they have them...

Brian