Sunday 8/19 - Marblehead/Riverhead, the small islands, Bakers, Misery

alcoons

When: Sunday, August 19.

Where: Marblehead/Riverhead Beach, the small islands, Bakers, Misery. 11 miles. See http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1239243 for route.

Timing: Launch at 9:30 AM. Low Tide is at 10 AM and people would like to get an early start to avoid boat traffic and have an early return. Early lunch/snack at Misery. Hope to return 1:30-2:30 PM.

Put-in: Riverhead - http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm

Level: Level 3-- You should feel comfortable with the distance, have an ocean kayak, and basic wet-exit and self-rescue skills.

The other stuff:

Trip is on. We have 3-5 paddlers already. Just in case, please check this string for updates before leaving Sunday.

Bring lunch, plenty of water, sunscreen, etc.

This is a private trip so show-and-go rules apply.

Al

Al Coons

Cetus - Red/White

Your options include landing on "Little Misery" and sticking your tongue out at the caretakers across the cut, daring them to come across for their booty. On the other hand, you could partake of the Clivus facilities and pay the freight. Whichever island you land on, be sure to get to "Little Misery" and hike to the back of the island for the panoramic view of Salem Sound and the ocean.

Your options include landing on "Little Misery" and sticking your tongue out at the caretakers across the cut, daring them to come across for their booty. On the other hand, you could partake of the Clivus facilities and pay the freight. Whichever island you land on, be sure to get to "Little Misery" and hike to the back of the island for the panoramic view of Salem Sound and the ocean.

Thanks Bob.

Like them of both. Some of us consider the view from the grassy high point a one minute walk up to the right above the beach on Misery (on the Little Misery side) as good a view if not better (higher) than the one on Little Misery. Worth checking them both out.

The Clivus rocks. Just don't leave your PFD on the porch as I did on my first trip a few years ago. Managed to get 25 yards off the beach before I realized "things did not feel right."

Either way, I like to to support The Trustees for doing such a good job with Misery and all of their properties. I hope those who are not already will consider a membership (www.thetrustees.org)

Al

Thanks Bob.

Like them of both. Some of us consider the view from the grassy high point a one minute walk up to the right above the beach on Misery (on the Little Misery side) as good a view if not better (higher) than the one on Little Misery. Worth checking them both out.

The Clivus rocks. Just don't leave your PFD on the porch as I did on my first trip a few years ago. Managed to get 25 yards off the beach before I realized "things did not feel right."

Either way, I like to to support The Trustees for doing such a good job with Misery and all of their properties. I hope those who are not already will consider a membership (www.thetrustees.org)

Al

If you get a chance to be out at sea off of Essex/Ipswich you might notice the difference in the view. Take a good look at the unspoiled dunes of Crane Beach and then at the number of houses littering the landscape on Great and Little Neck off of Pavillion Beach and further north, exclusive of Plum Island Wildlife Refuge. The Trustees have done a good job to keep things natural both here and in other areas of Massachusetts. If it's few dollars out of your pocket, it's better than looking at McMansions -- and loosing the right to land/relax/explore -- in what was once open space.

Deb M

How did the trip go ? I was sailing in this area today and saw a group of kayaks leaving Misery at about 2pm; which I assume was you guys. It was a great day for sailing with plenty of wind but I imagine it was a fairly challenging paddle. If we didnt have a sea sick youngster onboard I would have swung by to get a better picture.

Misery Island kayaks

Barry

How did the trip go ? I was sailing in this area today and saw a group of kayaks leaving Misery at about 2pm; which I assume was you guys. It was a great day for sailing with plenty of wind but I imagine it was a fairly challenging paddle. If we didnt have a sea sick youngster onboard I would have swung by to get a better picture.

Misery Island kayaks

Barry

This paddle trip was low key on a spectacular day--launching early due to boat traffic has definite positives--plus the spectacular views on Misery Island while having lunch was a feast for the eyes not just for the body. Did I mention the seals? And the fun and funny paddlers on that trip--not to be missed--join us next time--Les aka swearing ferret