Sunday 8/12 - Boston Outer Islands/Perhaps Graves

alcoons

When: Sunday, August 8th.

Where: Hull - Boston Harbor Outer Islands, maybe Graves. Maximum 14 miles but route depends on conditions and the group's desire . We could just visit Boston Light and the Outer Islands and skip Graves.

See http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1216501 for one possible route which includes Graves.

Timing: Launch at 10 AM sharp. High tide at 11:45 AM.

Put-in: Windmill Point. See http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm. I do not know the put-in although I know the point. I assume we will lauch on the ocean side since the gut will be running fast. Look for a red Honda Accord with a bunch of scary looking paddlers (sorry Leslie).

Level: Solid Level 3/3+. You should feel comfortable with the distance, moderate waves, have an ocean kayak, and basic wet-exit and self-rescue skills. Graves is in open ocean. There most likely will be a great deal of boat traffic and chop.

Confirmation: Confirming with an note here would be appreciated. We already have 3 or 4 paddlers. Please check here Sunday morning in case of last minute changes.

The other stuff: Bring lunch, plenty of water, sunscreen, etc.

This is a private trip so show-and-go rules apply.

Al

Al Coons

Cetus - Red/White

Al-

What time might you expect to be back to the cars? I'm hoping to make it down for the Osprey benefit. Thanks.

Phil

Would think between 3-4 PM. Depends on what the group wants to do. Should make it to Osprey but I guess that would depend on the traffic and the route you take. Hope to see you.

Al

Cetus

Red/White

When: Sunday, August 8th.

Where: Hull - Boston Harbor Outer Islands, maybe Graves. Maximum 14 miles but route depends on conditions and the group's desire . We could just visit Boston Light and the Outer Islands and skip Graves.

See http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1216501 for one possible route which includes Graves.

Timing: Launch at 10 AM sharp. High tide at 11:45 AM.

Put-in: Windmill Point. See http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm. I do not know the put-in although I know the point. I assume we will lauch on the ocean side since the gut will be running fast. Look for a red Honda Accord with a bunch of scary looking paddlers (sorry Leslie).

Level: Solid Level 3/3+. You should feel comfortable with the distance, moderate waves, have an ocean kayak, and basic wet-exit and self-rescue skills. Graves is in open ocean. There most likely will be a great deal of boat traffic and chop.

Confirmation: Confirming with an note here would be appreciated. We already have 3 or 4 paddlers. Please check here Sunday morning in case of last minute changes.

The other stuff: Bring lunch, plenty of water, sunscreen, etc.

This is a private trip so show-and-go rules apply.

Al

Al Coons

Cetus - Red/White

Hi Al,

Planning on heading down and joining in. Shouldn't be any glitches,but if I'm not there by launch time don't let me hold up the group. I'll check here befor leaving N.H. to make sure it is still on.

Scott Kimball

Is the meeting pont going to be the High School parking lot as portrayed on the 'Launch Sites" link or as far as one can drive their car out to the end of the point or are they the same spot?

I just spoke by phone to another paddler who is going to join us and she said that they are one and the same...so we should have no problem finding each other.

Glad you can make it.

Al

The trip is definitely on unless there is a sudden hurricane Sunday morning. We have 6 or 7 paddlers who have indicated they are coming. So join us if you are still thinking about it. Would not hurt to check here when you get up Sunday AM anyway, but I will only post again if there is some problem.

Al

I just spoke by phone to another paddler who is going to join us and she said that they are one and the same...so we should have no problem finding each other.

Glad you can make it.

Al

This is a picture of the locaiton on google maps:

View of launch location from Google Maps.

You will see that you good past the school and the field. The parking is at the end by the water. It's a nice launch site just a bit of a drive. (For me, I think that it's faster to launch from City point then to paddle to Windmill point than to do the drive).

Depending on the currents you can run into some standing waves near the launch.

-Jason

This is a picture of the locaiton on google maps:

View of launch location from Google Maps.

You will see that you good past the school and the field. The parking is at the end by the water. It's a nice launch site just a bit of a drive. (For me, I think that it's faster to launch from City point then to paddle to Windmill point than to do the drive).

Depending on the currents you can run into some standing waves near the launch.

-Jason

Al,

Didn't realize the put-in is where I'd gone fishing off a small boat several times a decade ago. I don't remember the conditions as ever lumpy enough to warrant a 3+ level, so I'm sitting here undecided at 7AM wondering whether I should join you. I paddled yesterday so maybe will spend the day en famille. Have fun.

Ern

Al,

Didn't realize the put-in is where I'd gone fishing off a small boat several times a decade ago. I don't remember the conditions as ever lumpy enough to warrant a 3+ level, so I'm sitting here undecided at 7AM wondering whether I should join you. I paddled yesterday so maybe will spend the day en famille. Have fun.

Ern

Hi Ern.

Conditions will be determined by the what we find further out. There will likely be much chop due to boat traffic and if we go out towards or to Graves things could be much different than close in. The max distance alone pushes some 3-level paddler's limits. Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would rather err on the safe side.

Al