Good Omens

bob budd

It all started Saturday. I was walking along the shoreline and I happened upon a speedboat belly up bobbing in the surf. So I picked it up and took it home.

Sunday broke cool and sunny. April Fools day brought us flat, if rather cold seas. A great day to get some old bones off the couch. Not mine but those of Jeff Casey.

We set off toward Egg Rock and began to ponder the location of our next goal, the Pig Rocks. We set off in what must have been the right direction for some time. Three guys and a chart, but did we look at it? Well after awhile we did look at the (black and white) chart and it put something it called Pig Rocks more or less where we were. Thinking they might not be visible at high tide, we set off toward Ram Island/Devereaux Beach. Not much later our quarry was seen and off we set for Pig Rocks, identified only as Outer Breakers on the chart. So you see, guys don't look at maps and charts for a reason.

Our audience awaited us patiently, first swimming out to us as we approached and then peering at us from a distance as we had lunch. After returning to the water we slid in and out of the slots thereabouts but, finding the flat seas a bit too flat, set off for Dredd Ledge.

Even in the calm seas, there was enough at Dredd Ledge to entertain us for a bit. Roger and I took made use of our polyethylene hulls. As two oclock arrived the seas began to pick up and we found a few places to play before setting off for the beach.