Cold Water Workshop, subtitle "shrinkage"

shewhorn

Well, the whole day just reminded me of this classic Seinfeld scene:

George: Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was cold..

Jerry: Oh... You mean... shrinkage.

George: Yes. Significant shrinkage!

Jerry: So you feel you were short changed.

George: Yes! I mean, if she thinks that's me she's under a complete

misapprehension. That was not me, Jerry. That was not me.

Jerry: Well, so what's the difference?

George: What if she discusses it with Jane?

Jerry: Oh, she's not gonna tell Jane.

George: How do you know?

Jerry: Women aren't like us.

George: They're worse! They're much worse than us, they talk about everything! Couldn't you at least tell her about the shrinkage factor?

Jerry: No, I'm not gonna tell her about your shrinkage. Besides, I think women know about shrinkage.

George: How do women know about shrinkage? (They see Elaine walking down the hall) Elaine! Get! (She enters) Do women know about shrinkage?

Elaine: What do you mean, like laundry?

George: No.

Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming... afterwards...

Elaine: It shrinks?

Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

Elaine: Why does it shrink?

George: It just does.

Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

I measured the surface temp at around 38 to 39 degrees with my IR thermometer and Linda's pool thermometer clocked in at 37 in the cove so the water was certainly chilly (and it was nice to have a confirmation from a second source as I was surprise that the water measure that cold seeing as the buoys are clocking in around the high fourties but I guess a protected shallow cove and a cold night can cool down rather quickly). It was nice to see other people's gear, especially some of the budget solutions. We all spent plenty of time in the water. I noticed Bob doing a few rolls sans any head gear. I don't know what that says but I have a theory that it might have something to do with having a skull of greater than average thickness. :-P I started shivering just watching that and didn't have any intentions of parting with my 6/5/4 mil hood. BRRRRRrrrrrr. I'm sure ice cream headaches were enjoyed by a few. I experienced some buoyancy wedgies prior to burping my dry suit in the water. That's always fun.

Thanks to Brian for the intro to Greenland sticks. I'm intrigued.

Good eats were had by all, thanks to Linda for bringing the veggie stew and Ernie for the hummus and pita bread and... there were cookies as well. Who brought the cookies? I brought some pumpkin bread. I'm glad it was all gone by the end of the day because that one loaf alone had 1.5 cups of sugar in it.

Thanks to Keith, Ernie, John, Brian, Linda, Mary and Bob for sharing all of their little equipment finds and experiences. Also, thanks to Liz for the house and Adam the company.

Of course thanks to Bob for arranging all of this.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cheers, J-J-J-J-J-J-Joe

Ahhhh come on Joe! It wasn't that cold!! lol!!! But a GREAT time...and I sure did like that boat I paddled...rolled soooooo easily!!!! A ph cappella i think...carbon kevlar....up on my shoulder and away i could go!!!! anyone paddling next saturday??

And a BIG thanks to bob...(and, good thing you have such a wonderful gofer (sp) or perhaps we would have seen you not only sans head gear but sans dry suit as well!! maybe we would have had a chance to practice our warming up skills to reduce your hypothermic condition! lol!)

maryb

>Ahhhh come on Joe! It wasn't that cold!! lol!!!

I'm never too serious (unless I'm being serious). ;-) I was paddling around Nahant and Kings Beach today playing in the surf. I went over about 3 times (unplanned) and another 2 times (planned). The water was around 48 degrees. I definitely noticed the difference between 38 degrees and 48 degrees. Yesterday I had my 6/5/4 mil hood on and today I only had my helmet and earplugs in. Even with my head mostly exposed rolling in that 48 degree water was tolerable without the hood... with the hood in the 38 degree water... I didn't want to spend too much time upside down like that.

Of course... I didn't go swimming today, and fortunately all of my rolls worked so that could have upped my tolerance level a bit (in addition I was warmed up as well from paddling back out into the surf so that could have made a difference too I guess).

Cheers, Joe

Hey Joe,

I've always been secretly envious of Walter's plastic thermometer that he simply hangs off his decklines with string, but I can't seem to find a similar model. I looked for pool thermometers, but the temp range was too high; I found some fly fishing models but they didn't look like they could take much banging around. What do you use?

Jon

I used a Fluke 62 mini IR Thermometer... a bit overkill and not water proof.

Cheers, Joe

>My calibrated pool thermo measured 44F half-way out the

>cove. Don't think it was as cold as 37-38....

It definitely was that cold!!! That reading was checked with two thermometers. Fluke's IR thermometers are very accurate. I took the reading at waist deep which was where we were doing the submersion and rolling. If you were closer to the cove entrance then you would have been measuring some of the water from the incoming tide which was reported at around 48.5 degrees in deeper waters. I'm not sure how low the temp got in Gloucester that evening but when I woke up that morning the reading was 28 degrees (and 31 by the time I left... I passed a local pond which had a thin layer of ice on it). 38 degrees +/- 1 wouldn't surprise me at all in the shallow water.

Cheers, Joe

Thanks to everyone for making this a fun and informative day. I learned a lot, and enjoyed meeting all of you. I feel much more confident making the transition to cold water paddling, having my frigid baptism in a semi-controled environment. Looking forward to paddling with you folks sometime soon.

John M.

I measured half-way up the cove, only a few inches submersion.

Maybe we should forget the thermometers and calibrate, ahem, with permanent marker "shrinkage" factor lines instead?! Then if the lines get too close together to distinguish you know it's WAY too cold! (Sorry to leave the better half out of this macho-geek not-even-QUASI-adolescence...and with a party coming up...oy.)

>I measured half-way up the cove, only a few inches

>submersion.

>Maybe we should forget the thermometers and calibrate, ahem,

>with permanent marker "shrinkage" factor lines instead?!

>Then if the lines get too close together to distinguish you

>know it's WAY too cold! (Sorry to leave the better half out

>of this macho-geek not-even-QUASI-adolescence...and with a

>party coming up...oy.)

testosteronical tyranny!

By the way, have you guys forgotten that they have Gilly on their side? ;) I can't believe she hasn't posted on this yet....

>testosteronical tyranny!

Has Gillian named her boat yet?

Cheers, Joe

>>testosteronical tyranny!

>Has Gillian named her boat yet?

Change in subject slightly - but has anyone notice that "Gillian" seems to be Latin for "one possessing gills"? Are we dealing with a post-sapien being? One that can hold any of us underwater for unimaginable times of terror?

But, I'll risk it and admit that is a great name for her boat! So here is to the Amphibious One in her Explorer TT!

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

First and foremeost, shrinkage is a POOR excuse for those of us, wait I mean those of YOU, who ah hem, buy REALLY long boats to compensate :) I heard they're coming out with a 24 ft. Explorer some time soon so whoever buys it, well we'll know.

And for those of you who must know the name of my boat, she's Baby Blue but more importantly known as HMF - I'll start taking bets on who figures out what it stands for first.

As for testosteronical tyranny, that's every evening at home!!!! :)

>oh it's a boxing glove night tonight . . . be prepared my

>feathery friend.

Feathery? Wow, that's kinky!

Cheers, Joe

>she's Baby Blue but more importantly known as HMF - I'll

>start taking bets on who figures out what it stands for

>first.

>As for testosteronical tyranny, that's every evening at home!!!! :)

Uhhhh.... I'm going to go guess Horny Mo Fo. (ducking)

Cheers, Joe

It will be interesting to see you underwater, Joe. I would bring your SCUBA gear if I were you.

I would guess that HMF is "Her Majesty's Finest" or "Her Majesty (the) Finest"

See, I know how to save my life!

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim