9/9/06 Hingham Harbor - Hull Gut - Alerton Point

alcoons

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=425937

Tom, Barry, Jacki, and Al launched from Hingham Harbor Park at 9:45 on this wonderful, warm, calm September Saturday. I was surprised how high the water was just two hours after the low. We went direct to Hull Gut, with a slight but increasing wind and adverse current. On the way out, Chris tracked us down. He had camped the night before on Rainsford Island.

We took a short break on the beach on the inside of Hull Gut. FYI, the facilities are closed for the season. There was some current on the far side of the Gut, but it was easy to paddle through on the windmill side 2 hours before high tide.

We had been discussing going to Boston Light via Georges Island and along the shoals, but Jackie suggested dealing with the boat traffic to Georges might not be a good idea. In fact, we left Chris heading back to his campsite watching the traffic streaming out of the Gut waiting for an opportunity to cross. I hope he made it across by dinner. Jackie suggested we head to Alerton Point for lunch. She had heard there was a good beach around the corner. A uneventful paddle took along the rocky shore to the first beach (not as nice as further down, but we needed to head back sooner than later).

We came back the way we went out, entertained first by 40 high powered racing boats headed out to sea at 40? 50? mph. I wish they had practiced their loud symphony before forcing us all to listen to it. While we all worry about getting hit by a power boat, I was glad I was not in smaller power boats as the fast movers serpentined around them in the main channel.

Even though it was only an hour after high tide, the gut was very choppy due to the boat traffic and had a much higher current than expected. It was all very doable. Barry impressed us all with how he handle his new Capella in his first truly confused water and significant current.

We headed for a stop by at Bakers, marveling at the 100? sailboats blanketing the horizon in what must have been a race. A quick stop at Bakers started with an impressive dry to wet exit on the beach by yours truly. One of those classic put one leg out of the boat, stand up on it, realize your not quite stable but you will be OK by shifting weight from the one foot sinking in the sand to the other foot on the floor of the cockpit...then slowly teetering and then falling on your back in the marsh.

We returned to the cars as expected at 4 PM after a route of almost 15 miles. Great trip!

Al

Al Coons

Eddyline Nighthawk

Red/White

Al,

Great description and great trip....Your circimnavigation idea around Hull certainly has me interested if not this season then next year. Kudo's again to Barry who may have set a new personal best in distance? Also I think it was Bumkin we stopped on for our intended and unintended dips.

Jackie