Alas, neither a monster nor a pinniped

bob budd

The day broke grey and raw, just like the last. Another letdown from the weather service. First task was pancakes and seeing Dee off to Woods Hole for a second day of torture. Then the groceries, selecting what to put in the stir fry and such. Home in plenty of time to read the important part of the Globe (including Howard Huge in Parade) and see Roger drive by the house.

Roger still getting to know his Greenlander Pro and Walter running late (suprise that!) we quickly discussed his comfort level with what we might encounter in the harbour. The forecast for the morning was now calling for moderate winds and not promising the reduction that had for several days promised a placid and sunny afternoon. We decided he was dressed to swim and discussed things like his cat's bad breath until our third arrived. While I packed my stuff into Walter's car he and Roger hoisted Rodni on top and strapped her down. Then we were off to Deer Island.

When we arrived at the put-in we found our unannounced fourth and slowly bustled about with gear and boats in the wind that promised to snatch an untied boat from its resting place atop the car. We chose a few likely bearings and noted that the present visibility meant we wouldn't have much need of such things. Soon we were off to one of two channel crossings and Calf Island.

Along the way Walter crooned various tunes and took at least one request. Nary a boat did we encounter crossing channels, indeed less than a few were to be seen at all. There was plentiful rolling surge/waves and the occasional breakers exposing one of the many shallow points in the harbour. Alternately riding up the face of a wave and slapping down on the back side or sliding down the back side of the waves as they came to our beam, many whoops were heard punctuating the featured selection.

Calf Island provided us with a low bluff with a view of the Boston skyline and the harbour. Walter provided me with additional fuel for the day's activity, a three-course addition to my traditional cereal and raisins. The sun shone on us for most of our time there and the winds were blocked from us such that we perhaps stayed over long. When 2:30 had passed we elected to sneak around the island and go to Boston Light.

A considerable following sea was found behind Calf Island and we all found our skegs. After a stop on the pebbly beach next to the dock for garment modifications we passed through the shallows and back to the gap on the west side of Calf Island. The trip through the gap was a bit exciting but otherwise uneventful with the seas surfing us through.

From there we sought the same buoys we crossed at and returned to Deer Island. Walter met a potential buyer for his Serenity and others were curious about our habits. None of us chose to take the matress and box spring home.

Thanks to all for a great paddle in challenging conditions!!

What a white-knuckled, heart pounding, tippy ride in that thing in following seas. Such a beautiful boat, but so much more technical and demanding than anything I've paddled. Those chines are always gripping and grabbing, giving a sense of impending capsize. You have to really sit up and pay attention every second. And with the seas behind, it pearls, adding even more excitement to the ride. I'm fortunate to have found such a challening boat with lots of room to grow into. It's gonna be a love/hate relationship, I can tell . . .

Can't wait for warmer weather . . . Can't wait to surf it . . . Can't wait to play in the river mouths . . .

Ah, sea-kayaking . . .

>

>Thanks to all for a great paddle in challenging conditions!!

>

>What a white-knuckled, heart pounding, tippy ride in that

>thing in following seas. Such a beautiful boat, but so much

>more technical and demanding than anything I've paddled.

>Those chines are always gripping and grabbing, giving a

>sense of impending capsize. You have to really sit up and

>pay attention every second. And with the seas behind, it

>pearls, adding even more excitement to the ride. I'm

>fortunate to have found such a challening boat with lots of

>room to grow into. It's gonna be a love/hate relationship, I

>can tell . . .

>

>Can't wait for warmer weather . . . Can't wait to surf it .

>. . Can't wait to play in the river mouths . . .

>

>Ah, sea-kayaking . . .

Well at least you have the Tempest to use when things get rough.