Three hits and a hood - a Spring paddling tale with a cautionary ending

kattenbo

Sunday (April 2) was a fine day for a paddle, if you like your water cool and well "textured". Boston buoy was reporting winds at 19kts gusting to 25kts, mostly out of the NNW and seas at 4.3 ft diminishing to 3.6 ft (9am to 1pm). There didn't seem to be much less wind in Sandy Bay off Rockport, though the wave height on average was certainly less (more on that later). Water temp was just a tad above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

John and I launched off the Rockport beach just west of Rockport around 10:15am. John was paddling his Anas Acuta and I was taking out the Qajariaq for another run. The carry over the cobbles to the beach was a bit painful, but the tide was a just over an hour past dead low so there was plenty of sandy beach for the launch once we got past the stones. The overall plan was to get out to the break water (about 1.7NM out) then look around to see how conditions were and where we wanted to head from there. Thatcher I. was in the back of our minds as a possible fun downwind run, but the haul back up would be a true slog if we couldn't find shelter from the wind.

After the launch we headed a bit west of north on a line past Sandy Bay Ledge and Dodge Rock towards red nun #2 near Pigeon Cove (1.0NM). We wanted to see what progress we could make against the wind, as well as set up for a slight crossing angle on the wind when we turned out to the breakwater. We were a bit surprised to find that progress wasn't as difficult as we imagined, though I was taking a face full of paddle drips every time I recovered from a stroke on my left side. We were both pretty fully geared up with dry suits, fleece, hats, sunglasses, radio, tow belts, etc. We were both carrying hoods (I had two, my neoprene in the spray deck pouch and my fuzzy neoprene "rescue hood" in my PFD pocket) and other gear.

When we got to the rocks we sheltered for a minute and drank some water. It was clearly rolling pretty good along our route out to the breakwater and we didn't really want to stop for a drink on the way. As we headed out we pointed about halfway between green can #3 and the mid point of the breakwater, figuring with drift we'd end up at the southeastern end by the time we go out there. Wind was on our left rear quarter and waves went from front left to side on as we got further out.

As we moved offshore we started to interact with waves that were being blown in from the NNW pretty much parallel to the shore and with a clear fetch. If you look at the chart of the area you'll see that they were coming nicely down the slot between the shore and the northwestern tip of the breakwater. I ended up running about 1/4 skeg (I'm beginning to really appreciate a skeg with a slide control) and John looked to be running about the same. The Qajariaq tracked well once trimmed, very controllable with edging. About this time I realized that I had the foot pegs set at different lengths, with the left peg one notch further down than the right. This actually worked well as it predisposed me to edge slightly into the waves, helping with balance.

There was a very noticeable wave pattern as we made the crossing. There would be six or seven waves running around 2 to 2.5 feet (just below eye level) followed by a distinct set of three larger, 4 to possibly 5 footers, occasionally cresting. All were reasonably steep. We were paddling in parallel at this point, so depending on how far apart we were one of us would either disappear from sight or would be raised above head height of the other. To make it fun there were crossing waves running through the pack from a variety of angles, including the occasional one that would sneak in from the rear.

We continued to make good progress without excessive strain. I'm still getting used to the lower initial stability in the Qajariaq compared to the Explorer and how it handled in these conditions, so I was throwing in a slightly higher than usual number of moving low braces on recovery strokes, but that was just making it fun. Greenland paddles are great for this - you get really fine control over the blade angle to dial in just the right about of brace and they provide an incredible amount of support.

As we closed on the breakwater we saw that our estimate had been pretty close to the mark as we ended up very near the southeast end. We sheltered off the tip (1.5NM from Pigeon Rock), got some more water and looked to our options. After kicking it around for a minute we decided to head directly to Rockport Harbor. The wind hadn't diminished and if we headed to Thatcher I the paddle back would have been pretty much directly into it - more that we wanted to do.

The leg from the breakwater to the harbor (1.2NM on a straight line) put us on a heading just a little south of west. The wind was now on the right front quarter, meaning we were now getting well salted on that side from paddle drips blowing into our faces. The waves were now coming in from the right side of the boat and had a little more fetch but maintained the same pattern of 3 major swells showing up at regular intervals. The difference on this leg was that as we got closer to the harbor we came in range of rebounding waves from the shoreline to our left that added to the dynamics. While the wind was pushing at the paddles a little bit, the unfeathered narrow blades of the Greenland sticks made it very manageable. At that point we could also pick out a Coast Guard zodiac in the harbor. It was somewhere in this stretch that John shouted he had a problem. Concerned, I asked what it was and his response was that he couldn't get the smile off his face.

The pace coming back in was slower and with the drift the last stretch into the harbor was almost directly upwind. As we were closing on the harbor mouth the Coast Guard suddenly bolted out, siren wailing and lights flashing. They turned up towards Newburyport, but we had no clue as to what spooked them - we're pretty sure it wasn't us. I wondered about the siren - we were the only other boats out there, so I'm not sure who else they figured they had to get out of their way.

Once in the harbor we had to tuck right up to the wall at Bearskin Point to get out of the wind. The quiet in the shelter was an amazing contrast to the excitement just outside. After relaxing for a couple of minutes we took a slow lap around the inner harbor on the commercial side then started towards the mouth. Part way there I stopped then let the boat drift with the wind to see if it would move to a neutral (cross wind) position or point into the wind. It stayed mostly neutral, pointing maybe a couple of degrees more upwind than John's Anas Acuta.

We cut around the harbor mouth to harbor left and headed back to the beach (upwind, 0.4NM). As we got around Bearskin Point and started to parallel the shore on the outside of the harbor the seas got very confused with a lot of rebounding waves from several directions mixing into the swells. John was fine but about halfway back I got caught in an awkward convergence area and found myself unbalanced and in the process of a slow motion capsize, falling to my right and into the direction of the waves. I had time to holler "Over" and twist to take the impact on my back, then paused and rolled back up, coming up from the right with the waves (so a 180 down and 180 back up on the same side). The boat handled well and I initially felt stable once back up.

Now starts the cautionary tale: I was wearing my Tilly hat with both straps (under chin and back of head) down. The water was cold and I came up with the classic ice cream headache/brain freeze sensation, which wasn't unexpected - I'd been there before. What seemed to happen however was a pocket of cold water got trapped for a short time under the hat and on the top back of my head. I shook it off, but to my surprise a very short time later I found myself toppling again, this time to my left. That was different - the seas weren't THAT confused and I can't remember the last time I fell over twice like that without meaning to.

I did a 180 roll again, this time coming up on the left (by the way, not smart - it meant I was rolling up into the waves, not with them). The roll was ok, I had to put a little finishing brace on it, but not bad. John was beginning to wonder what was up, but I told him I was ok (thought I was). Again a cold head and a bit more intense on the back. Thinking about it now, I believe that was from the soaked headband of the Tilly, not an actual pocket of water. Shook it off again and started forward once more. You guessed it - a few more strokes and here I go for a third time, again to the left. This time I used my arms to sweep me all the way under the boat and completed a 360 degree roll to come up with the waves. John started over, checking to see if we should head back to the harbor. Instead we rafted up and I pulled off my hat and glasses and pulled the hood out of the spray deck pouch and put in on.

A couple of things here. We were out in confused seas with a good wind but the two boat raft (bow to bow - it was quicker, a good idea at the time) was totally stable. We both "committed to the boats", meaning we were fully laid over onto the deck of our partner's boat, locking them together. Because I was using my hands to get the hat and glasses off and hood on, I hooked John's boat with my left elbow while he had a good wrap on mine. This is a really stable posture - if you have to raft up, don't be shy. Second, this is a position where if there had been a third paddler they could have put a tow on and headed us into the winds and eliminated any drift. We had sufficient sea room so we didn't have a problem (though I didn't dawdle), but something to keep in mind.

With the 3mm neoprene hood on my head warmed up almost immediately. Based on past experience I was pretty sure this would clear up the mysterious falling over. One of the insidious impacts of cold water on your head, especially in your ears, is that it can upset your sense of balance. I had had a similar experience several years ago at one of the last LL Bean Symposiums in Castine, ME. I had gotten on the water early for a short paddle and as I came back to the cove where I could see there were other folks on the water I decided to practice some rolls and sculls. After several minutes I experienced some noticeable vertigo. Until then I'd read about the impact of cold water on balance, but hadn't experienced in personally. As a result I now carry ear plugs in the same PFD pocket I carry my "rescue" hood and generally put them in place before roll or sculling practice - anything that puts my head in the water.

Sure enough, with the hood on and my head warmed up the balance problems disappeared and I was able to stay upright. After a minute or two to check things out, we headed on towards the beach, with John taking up a trailing position to keep an eye on things. If the problem hadn't cleared up we probably would have had to set up a contact tow, with my boat to one side and slightly behind John's and me leaning on his back deck. This position would have let me see the oncoming waves and try to assist in reacting to them while John paddled. We would have turned downwind and either gone back to the main harbor or more likely gone to the little pocket harbor that is accessible from that side (if you're leaving Bearskin Neck in your car, it's the one to your right after the road forks) since making progress into the wind would have been tough to say the least. Once there, worst case, we could have walked to the car and brought it back to pick up the boats.

So, to net it out - if you are working a capsize where the person in the water has had their head immersed in cold water, even if the "victim" has rolled up, watch for balance issues in addition to the normal impacts of recovery from a capsize. If they seem to be having issues, or go over again, get a hood on them and let them rest in a rafted position until their head warms up. Keep a close eye for some time and be ready for a repeat. If the problem persists, set up a contact tow or rafted tow if there are enough paddlers around. Finally, if you need to raft up, then raft up - commit to the boats to make a stable platform.

Other than that it was a great paddle in some "interesting" conditions.

See you on the water.

Keith

As a paddler, an audiologist and finally as one who has survived many vertigo spells prior to surgical intervention, I'd like to clarify why "vertigo" or spinning / dizzziness occurs in cold water. Its not cold water on the head - its cold water trapped in the ear canal that causes vertigo.

Anatomy - as cold water hits the eardrum , the cold temperature is transfered via the middle ear to the inner ear where our vestibular or balance systems lie. There are three semicircular canals in the inner ear/vestibular system. When cold temperatures hit the canals the fluid that rotates thru the three canals ( vertical, horizonatal and angular in space) begins to get cold and "dense". The "dense" cold fluid flows downward as it is heavier causing the fluid in the horizontal canal (closest to the middle ear) to begin to rotate.

Altho YOU are not really rotating in space after your roll - the fluid is rotating sending signals to the brain that you are spinning in space.

The GOOD news - its takes 4-6 min in room temperature air situations for the fluid to return to its normal temps and stop rotating - obviously this can be longer in cold air. So use of ear plugs - either custom made from silicone or at least the foam squishy type and the use of neoprene hat will warm help prevent this from happening.

Its not that one is "tough" to roll in cold water its genetics - some people have tortuous bending ear canals that don't allow the cold water to easily hit the ear drum.

Thanks Mysticbos for that very clear explanation.

Keith--were you aware that you were having dizziness problems? --the way you described it, your first experience a few years ago in Castine included noticeable vertigo--this time did you find yourself flipping over without recognizing right away that something was going on in your head?

Tom

Chatham yellow over white

>Thanks Mysticbos for that very clear explanation.

>

>Keith--were you aware that you were having dizziness

>problems? --the way you described it, your first experience

>a few years ago in Castine included noticeable vertigo--this

>time did you find yourself flipping over without recognizing

>right away that something was going on in your head?

>

>Tom

>Chatham yellow over white

No, I didn't notice it as a normal dizzy experience - spinning room and all of that - I just couldn't stay upright. That's probably why it took me two dunks to recognize what was going on. It was a strange experience, I just found myself heading over again. I would expect, based on this sample of one, that the "victim" wouldn't necessarily recognize why they were having trouble.

Vertigo may have been the wrong word to describe the Castine experience - but it was a bit more overt (of the "whoa, I'm dizzy" variety). I had spent more time immersed (was sculling and static bracing if I remember right) in Castine.

Keith