Brief paddle, discretion and valor

kattenbo

Took a quick spin out of Lane's Cove this morning, getting my new boat wet. NOAA said small craft, N winds 15-20kts, seas 4 to 7 feet. Wind didn't feel that bad and weren't a lot of white caps, so I figured less than 15kts - more like the 13 or so shown on the NOAA graphical site (http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/massachusettsMarineDay.php#tabs).

Launch at Lane's was treat, about 9:15am, tide was starting out, but still the water was higher than I had seem most time at the cove - almost to the road.

Seas seemed to be more around 2 at the mouth of Lanes (I could see over them). Built up as I headed toward Halibut Point and were running 3 (can't see over them) to probably 4.5 to 5 (looking up from the trough and saying, hmmm). Probably occasionally something bigger, but forgot my tape measure. Lot of crossing chop and reflection off the points, so a somewhat confused situation.

Got about due N. of Halibut Pt, on a line drawn from the tip of Folly Pt to green bouy "1AHP" and decided it was time for discretion to win out over valor. Combination of not having my paddling chops back yet (I was off the water most of last year), new boat (boat's fine, I'm just not used to it yet), a small gear error (hood in pouch, not on head so didn't want to do a lot of rolling), and being solo.

First step was to just stop paddling. It's amazing how much calmer things can seem if you play flotsom (as long as you got room to do it in - you don't want to become jetsam). Boat followed it's natural tendency, turning into the wind (had the skeg up)and road the waves nicely. After a couple of minute admiring the view, turned and started back with a slight stern quarter wind and wave. The boat didn't show any immediate tendency to get out of control with the following sea, but with no skeg did want to corkscrew and head for a broach. Controllable with the paddle, but a half skeg or a little less removed it as an issue.

Trip back in was pretty straight forward and the waves at the mouth of Lanes had dropped when I got back. As always, nice to coast through the opening in the granite seawall. A little longer carry out. As I was packing out a couple from central New Hampshire stopped by, scouting put ins. Had a little chat about Lane's and other possible launch points. Seemed like good folks.

By the way, the new boat is Valley Canoe Products "Qajariaq". Apparently they figured out most folks don't know how to pronounce it, so they've changed the name on their website to "Anas Acuta HV" (for high volume), which is also descriptive. Most of the extra volume is up front, generated by taking some of the rocker out of the bow. It's also about 10 inches longer and a bit deeper than the Anas Acuta. Oherwise very similar (hard chine, etc.) and the profile from the cockpit to the stern is virutally identical - a lot of rocker there. Turns very well, but also tracks. Incidentally, "Qajariaq" in Greenlandic means "like a kayak" and is the term applied to kayaks that are not traditional skin (seal, canvas, nylon, etc.) on frame construction.

That's about it. I need to get more time in similar conditions with this boat. I probably would have stayed out a bit longer in the Explorer, just because I've been paddling it for 10 years and we're very familiar with each other. With more time in "interesting" water I believe I'll feel the same level of comfort in this boat. Looking at the chart back home, I wonder if it would have flattened out a bit more if I had gotten out closer to the bouy. The water depth shallows from over 90 ft to the 60 ft (10 fathom) line in the area where I turned and pretty quickly gets to between 20 and 25 feet. A bit further out might have put me into more swell like conditions. Oh well, won't know this time.

See you on the water.

Keith

Keith,

It is good to hear you are paddling again! Always good to get a new boat wet and glad you had some water with a bit of texture to it for your christening.

Looking forward to running into you on the water again.

Suz

Keith:

Good to see you on the water and the board.

Just one question, Professor, about "First step was to just stop paddling.... Boat followed it's natural tendency, turning into the wind (had the skeg up)..."

In my exprience, boats at rest end up broadside to the wind, tending to point up into the wind (weathercock) only when paddled forward.

Now the question: did I misread your trip report? Does the AA HV have unique characteristics? Were you paddling to stay in place?

Just curious...or as Richard says, living to learn.

Best Regards,

Scott

>Keith:

>

>Good to see you on the water and the board.

>

>Just one question, Professor, about "First step was to just

>stop paddling.... Boat followed it's natural tendency,

>turning into the wind (had the skeg up)..."

>

>In my exprience, boats at rest end up broadside to the wind,

>tending to point up into the wind (weathercock) only when

>paddled forward.

>

>Now the question: did I misread your trip report? Does the

>AA HV have unique characteristics? Were you paddling to

>stay in place?

>

>Just curious...or as Richard says, living to learn.

>

>Best Regards,

>Scott

Scott;

You read it right. In more detail, I had turned so the wind was on the rear right (aft starboard) and I had a rear quartering sea but with a lot of crossing reflecting waves. When I stopped paddling, the boat reoriented so wind was on front quarter and major wave action was mostly side on (broach), but with the reflecting, etc., not completely. Hard to tell where I would have ended up had wind been the only factor.

The Qajariaq has a in water profile with significantly more rocker from the cockpit aft than from the cockpit forward. Because of this I would not be surprised to find that the boat would drift to a bow upwind position even if not paddling forward.

By the way, this was the fourth time in the boat type and second time in this specific boat. I'll be interested in finding out more about its handling characteristics going forward.

Keith