Boston Harbor Island/Boston Light--Thursday, 8/18/05

alcoons

Leslie Beale, Tom Hirschfeld, and I launched from Sing's Beach (Dorchester) at 10 AM under perfect conditions: full sun, temperatures in the 70s, light wind, quiet waters. Paddled south of Thompson's Island as the tide peaked. . As expected on a weekday however, there were few boats. However, we stopped for a few seconds just before the main span of the Long Island bridge under the assumption that the high speed ferry was going through at all costs even if they just ran over two powerboats the week before

We continued directly to George's Island in about 90 minutes elapsed time. Georges was littered with school groups having a good time at the picnic grounds. After a beach lunch, conditions were so benign that we looked around the corner and headed out to Boston Light. The landing was (I assume) uncharacteristically easy on the beach with only slight swells. 4 canoes and a wooden kayak were already beached: a boy scout group. The Coast Guard Auxiliary light keepers (The Coast Guard billet for the light was discontinued after 911) invited us to join the other group for a tour of the grounds and the light. Do not assume this is always available. Earlier they had turned a group away since the formal group the comes out on the launch Hurricane was already there. We listened to the opening presentation, but felt the need to get going for the longer return paddle against the teeth of the tide.

As the wind disappeared on the return trip, the temperature rose. Leslie assured us we could again pass to the south of Thompson's, even at low tide. At the most it would be short carry she said. She promised to carry our boats and gear and us if it was not. As we approached that area a large sand wall appeared, seemingly a result of the final 2 weeks of excavation from the Big Dig appeared in the water. It was about 8 feet high and 60 yards across. Tom pointed out that there was a full moon, and maybe this was just a result of maximum high tide. I think they are building a 12-lane highway from Thompson’s to the shore. Needless to say, Leslie did not carry our boats for us but on the other hand she had laughed at all our bad jokes so I guess things are even.

Ironically, a moderate shore wind started right then, cooling us off as we headed for the take out. I guess we beached around 4 PM after a great trip of fun discussion, guiet waters, beautiful views of the Harbor Islands and the Boston Skyline, and a surprise trip to Boston Light.

Congratulations to Tom who is relatively new to paddling but has a lot of miles under his belt already. He is strong, able, sensible, fun and looking for experience in bigger conditions. When you meet him, ask him about his boat's gel coat speed tracks that he says increase directional stability.