Newport Harbor Tour and Jazz Festival

Lbeale

Would like to thank Richard N. for putting together a Newport Harbor and Jazz Festival trip plan on Saturday 8/13 that is difficult to beat--including inviting fun-to-be-with paddlers Brian, Linda, Michael B. and Deb. The first stop on the trip was inspecting the boatbuilding museum and school. Ask Brian about the wooden boat selling for $1000 bucks. If you get a chance to go to Newport forget about touring those opulent mansions with expensive entry fees--go to this Museum and support the endeavor--much more interesting to see the process of boat building and restoration than seeing dusty chandeliers. Next stop, a tour of Newport Harbor and then on to the lighthouse. But due to boat traffic, chop and, winds we opted for crossing the Harbor and going directly to the Festival. The boat traffic was intense. If I was with a different group of paddlers who were less experienced, I never would of attempted the crossing. There is wisdom in paddling with better paddlers than myself--the learning curve is high.

On to listen to the music in our boats, find a beach to go swimming, and paddle back with the winds behind us--more like sailing back--to the put-in. The PPPO was a barbeque place outside Newport that served the best baked beans--MIchael, Brian and Linda knew this place and it was delicious. Such a pleasure to paddle with Brian, Linda, Michael, and Deb on a beautiful summer day and special applause to Richard for organizing. Hope that Richard is willing to put together a similar trip in the early fall this year (of course, without the Festival events). les

It sure was a great day with fine company. While the harbor was challenging, it's no different than other large harbors on a beautiful summer weekend. I agree that it would be a beautiful place to paddle in the fall when the boat traffic has abated. The International Yacht Restoration School was really interesting, especially if you're into boat building. Hanging out at the Jazz Festival was a blast! It almost make me wish I had...dare I say it...a sit-on-top. Almost. Maybe we should tow a raft with a cooler next year? ;-)

For those looking for a culinary treat, Becky's BBQ in Middletown, RI is THE BEST! Lip smackin', finger-licken GOOD. The barbecue beans alone are worth the trip.