York Harbor to Cape Neddick Nubble - June 26th

paulariegel

Never less than 3 on the sea... and that's what we were. Three of us launched, late morn (about 11am), from York Harbor. After the short trip through the harbor, we decided to head north towards Nubble Light. (About a 7 1/2 mile round trip - not including the gunkholeing).

Conditions were very mild(winds 5-10 seas 2-4) so rock play provided the thrills and practice of boat handling skills. And from time to time we would stop and gaze down through the crystal clear waters at the underwater kelp gardens.

After moseying (sp?) along the shoreline, we made a bee-line from Roaring Rock Point to Cape Neddick Nubble. Once there, we decided to paddle clock-wise around Nubble. On the eastern side, steam rose from rocks drying in the sun giving it a sauna-like appearance. The southeastern tip of the tiny island provided fun with larger swells breaking over/around rocks. With stomachs grumbling, we landed on the slippery rocks beneath where tourists congregate to view the lighthouse. Walter provided yet another sandwich feast. We finished our respite by dozing in the sun on the hot rocks.

At 2pm we packed up for the trip back. Thick haze was over the waters. After a roll to cool off, we headed southwest approx 240. About 1/3 way across Long Sands, a rumble was heard. Then another. And another. We kicked the pace up (which wasn’t easy after those sandwiches), and made for Cow Beach Point. There wasn't much chatting on the way back as each of us concentrated on forward strokes. Once along the shoreline again we relaxed. If the t-storm hit, we could easily land and take shelter amongst the rocks.

We proceeded to have a leisurely paddle back into the harbor with the current (high at York Harbor was 3:36pm). At the take out we saw Alex. She had been paddling south of York Harbor and was in Brave Boat Harbor when she too heard the rumble of thunder. After chatting and packing away gear/boats, the thunder grew more louder/frequent and a lightening streak was seen. A good time to be off the water and for a stop at KTP.

A fun day and good company and excellent sandwiches. (Bill, you missed out!).

I did miss paddling with you guys, but I had a wonderful day with my wife. We put-in at Pavillion Ipswich at around 1:30, and paddled out through the PIT (nothing happening) then north up the front of Plum Island. We did some practice wet exits and rescues, the water was actually very warm, I would guess mid 60's in the shallows. I was only wearing shorts, and was very comfortable in the water. About 4:00 we started to hear the thunder rumbles, so we bee-lined it back to the beach and loaded up just in time to watch the lightning show.

Thanks Paula for a great trip.

I'd follow you anywere.(:>))

Well almost anywere.(:>))

It was great day on the water.

York River and Bay has a lot to offer.

Rocks, Kelp Beds, Open bay, Light house, etc.

That was the first time I ever say the rocks steaming.

Walter