forward stroke clinic for women

Guest guest

On Sunday, five women met in Portsmouth (Pierce Island Launch) for the Forward Stroke Clinic taught by Jed Luby. As we initially practiced our forward strokes for Jed to assess, the most we could do was 2 to 2 and a half knots, maybe three and pushing it. By the end of the clinc, all our foward strokes rose to to at least 3 knots and for some, 4+knots.

Many of us had did our forward stroke style keeping with the motto, "the harder you work, the faster you go". Yet, by the end of the workshop, we were saying words like 'amazing", "I can't believe it", "it's a weird way to paddle, but it works", "my muscles aren't sore and I'm not exhausted, amazing".

Until this clnic, I did not understand how needlessly hard I was working when paddling --but dawn did finally hit marblehead, and now, my new forward stroke does not need all that energy I was burning. The power of the WHOLE torso rotation (not just shoulders and some upper body torso; there is a BIG difference, trust me), pushing the paddle away from you with the upper hand, and using a cadence that is short, quick and clean mean economy of movement. Jed's paddling technique allows someone of my size and weight to do the distance with much less fatigued, body and spirit. The companionship of Suzanne, Paula, Deb and Michelle as well as the knowledge, skill and patience of Jed made this clinic not only enjoyable but remarkable. So girls, if you want to improve your forward stroke run, do not walk , to the next Jed Luby's Forward Stroke Clinc for Women.

>As we initially practiced our forward strokes for Jed to

>assess, the most we could do was 2 to 2 and a half knots,

>maybe three and pushing it. By the end of the clinc, all

>our foward strokes rose to to at least 3 knots and for some,

>4+knots.

>

Those are some pretty impressive results. That extra knot of speed certainly makes a big difference when paddling over long distances! Sounds like it was a good class

Jim