Fife Brook To Zoar Gap

Guest guest

Guest guest

Beautiful day and great scenery in the narrow valley. The two hour plus drive back with Sunday afternoon (stop and go) traffic was the downside of going out to western MA. However, given the the dry conditions, we didn't have many choices for white water except at places with dam releases such as those in western MA or upper ME. The Fife Brook section of the Deerfield has numerous small rapids and several significant featured spots where folks congregate, practice and "play." It's good solid class II river folks getting into and wanting to learn white water.

To get acclimated to the current, at the put-in, we practiced ferrying back and forth across the river to get ready for what was to come. With this basic maneuver comfortably if not perfectly under the boat, we hit the first set of solid class II rapids and play spot -- Hangover Helper. The rapids pour into a long pool with a several nice waves on the bottom and good size eddies on both sides. Ferrying was needed to get across the current from eddy to eddy and sliding onto the standing wave for surf practice. We tried our hand at some squirting in the current lines as well, leading to some good combat roll practice. This was repeated at "Freight Train."

By the time we hit "Pin ball", a rock garden with trout lies behind

each boulder and numerous small standing waves, we were pretty versed in catching micro eddies, peeling in and out, ferrying across currents, and sliding onto various waves/holes.

The next major playspot and finale was Zoar Gap, a class III feature where all the river's water is funneled into a narrow chute with huge boulders and bedrock lining the sides and several big boulders in the middle creating drops with holes and standing waves. There is a takeout just before the gap for those who want to opt out. However, feeling confident with our rolls and the "play" we had done so far, we decided to shoot the Gap rather than be left wondering on the drive home... The Gap has some wonderful scenery. Too bad we saw it mostly upside down. I didn't see my partner's run (once in the gap, you just focus what's in front of you), but I hit the first hole/wave and immediately went over in the foaming turbulence. Rolling back up, I was promptly sent careening head on into a boulder on river right. The boat attempted to climb up the side of the boulder. Too high of a climb, my boat and I went head over heel back into the foaming mess. I washed into the pool and rolled back up. After shaking the water out of my eyes and blowing out my sinuses, I watched as two, three, four "swimmers" come shooting through the Gap. Folks in the pool was chasing down yard sale equipment and plowing boats into the eddies. Everyone sported a smile, however. The "peanut gallery" standing on the road and looking down into the Gap can be seen clapping or cheering on the next paddler through the chute. I guess paddling can be a spectator sport at the Gap. :)

The Fife Brook section of the Deerfield is a solid class II river with the release running at 700 CFS. If the release gets near 1000 CFS, I think it would become more a class II+. Zoar Gap is, of course, another whole class up. The Gap, however, provides a great test for novice paddlers moving up in class and a great practice for intermediate paddlers.

We will do this trip again in the future for folks who wanted to go but couldn't make it this time around. Another possibility is a "double header" weekend in western Maine/NH border area. Do white water on the class II Androscoggin one day and tour one of the big lakes, such as Umbagog or Lake Richardson, on another.

sing

Guest guest

I assume Sing was trying to save some of my pride....As he came down, he did see the multiple swimmers in the H20....and yes, I was amongst the floating out of my boat that is...though I did keep control of my own yard sale...

An absolute blast!

Next time, no blown rolls ....

Guest guest

A "swim" now and again is a good thing... :) Keeps one from getting too cocky, which can be terminal. Actually, earlier this season, I took my first swim in a long, long time while doing white water. Flipped over in a good standing wave/hole, slammed my helmet into a several good boulders as I got swept down and then pinned against a sand bar. Swimming out of the boat and grabbing a breath of air never felt so good. :) On the other hand, being able to hit the roll while being buffeted by quick currents, obstructed by rocks and other obstacles is very good way to learn to stay cool under pressure and to develop an appreciation of having more than one roll under the belt.

sing