Thatcher's Island - MOASR

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thatcher's Island - We made a trip out of Lanes to Thatcher's 3/15/2003. I'd never actually landed on the island, but paddled past a number of times. The Coast Guard Ramp makes one of the longest "Slip n' Slides" around. As we pulled up to the island we were disappointed to see an "Island Closed" sign, but thankfully they'd removed the Dobermans and left the "force field" turned off so we got out and carefully pulled our boats to the top of the MOASR (Mother of All Slime Ramps). We were there at lowest tide so after lunch we all "land luged" back into the water by sliding a good 75 feet down the timber ramp. John L. discovered that even between the timber grooves on the ramp, his Pintale would not track.

>As we pulled up to the island we were disappointed to see an

>"Island Closed" sign, but thankfully they'd removed the

>Dobermans and left the "force field" turned off so we got

>out and carefully pulled our boats to the top of the MOASR

>(Mother of All Slime Ramps).

Two years ago when the Thatcher Island Association was preparing to reopen Thatcher for camping, I was on the phone negotiating to use it for the trip leaders retreat. The Association President mentioned that he was looking out his window (he lives in Rockport) looking at the kayakers landing illegally on Thatcher. I assured him it could not POSSIBLY be members of NSPN. We would NEVER do such a thing. He laughed. I laughed. We got to use the island. All is well.

Liz N.

Guest guest

I promise you, two years ago, it was not me. (He didn't say the boat color did he?) I can assure you another thing, based on the slime level, we stayed close to the high tide mark and that's ok, isn't it? Of course, we'd never land there if we knew it was not legal.

Guest guest

So, Liz. Do we know for sure where around Cape Ann we can land and where we cannot? During spring trip leader training, we're looking for various places to practice, including landings.

We'd like to respect the preferences of land owners, but it's hard to know what is public, what is private but accessible, and what is off limits.

To be useful, it would be great to distinguish between 'fish, fowl and navigate' spots i.e. we can land below high tide for a pit stop and KEEP OFF.

Scott