The Ocean at Her Best!

Ken C

Saturday October 12th, 8:45AM,Ordione Point, Portsmouth NH. Overcast, light rain 50's Marine forecast e/ne winds 15-20K, seas 6-8 feet, low tide 10:20.

One of our party had to make a last minute cancellation so that left Paul S. and myself. The conditiions looked perfect to see the sea at her best. Far from tame, but also far from dangerous. After making last minute safety and gear checks we decided that in the rock and surf areas we would play very conservatively, and avoid areas where rescue would be risky with such a small party. We proceded E out of Little Harbor to the breakwater into a headwind, after rounding the jetty we could tell this was going to be a great day of big wave paddling. Even at the mouth of the Harbor you could feel the power of the swells. These were big, paddle up,up,up, then down into the trough and out of the wind seeing nothing but water around you. The rather swift ebbing current from Portsmouth added an interesting "slosh" factor in crossing from little harbor to Whaleback Light. The combination of large swells and current would occasionally stand waves up and steepen them substantially!

After reaching Whaleback light we paused for a bit and watched the action on Whaleback! We paddled around the lee side and got out of the wind to don our helmets which would remain on the rest of the day! We paddled up to the surf break and watched tha action as we paddled from Whaleback to White, and Horn Islands. The action there was really something. We carefully picked our way through the islands always watching carefully for "standers". The underwater structure in this area is varried and with the current, rocks, submerged ledges anything can develop. You could be sitting safely in a spot and all of a sudden you would be on the top of a steep one beginning to foam! A rear view mirror would have been handy!!

We picked our way north along Gerrish stoping and playing in spots along the shore. Paul found a spot with an entrance from seaward with an exit paralell to the shore. He managed to make it in on the last of the "doable" sets. I waited and waited but the waves just kept comming in steep and dumping! I've been in large dumping surf but that was a sand beach and not a rock ledge starring me in the face. I could not see making it in without a side surf given the size, steepness, and violence of the "dump"! About that time Paul waved me off and he decided to exit on along the shore.

We decided to try o get some rides and head to Gerrish for lunch.We found a spot on Gerrish and stopped for someting hot to drink, a snack, and get the bloodflow in the legs going. From our vantage it looked like things may be quieting just a bit out at White island that would make it playable, so we packed up and launched with White as our destination.(not Isle of Shoals White!) As we approached it was apparent that things had not backed off at all!! we were greeted by a rather large but curious seal who was obviously having a good time too!! As he'd surface, he would give us a look and lunge back into the soup! After several looks he tired of us quickly and headed off!

We found another spot with a seaward entrance, a good emergency exit and not too much danger of getting "buggered" on the rocks. It had it all large breaking waves, a good "slosh" factor and was as safe an area as we were going to find today. Too bad we found it at the end of the day!

With our time window arrived we set off back to Little Harbor with the wind and seas at our back. It was a fun and effortless ride back in with mother ocean doing most of the work. Once inside the harbor we switched boats worked on the obligatory after paddle rolls, and warmed down as we paddled back to the "Wooden Bridge". On the way in a "Pan Pan" by CG Group Boston added a somber note. The PAn Pan was issued on an overdue 36' Motor vessel en route from Ellsworth ME, to Providence RI, with a crew of 2 on board! Unfortunately on Saturday the conditions were even worse in the Cape Cod Bay to LI sound area with a Gale posted. Hopefully the boat was hold up in a cove somewhere and all wre well!!

While a larger group would have allowed more play with a better safety margin, we did have a great, safe, day on some big water. We chose our route and play areas carefully, watched the wind and weather, were well prepared with all safety gear and skills, and had a great time. Too bad we don't have nore days like this!!

Ken Condon

Romany 16

Yellow over white

Nice report Ken. One minor ommission which I wish to relate.

Just before returning while trying to catch some rides in an area of deep water (no apparent rocks) I saw a good one coming up from behind.

I paddled to surf it but it came up so fast and steep that it gave me my first true endo in a full size kayak. The Explorer never surfed it. The boat seemed to stall, at least the bow. I went over smoothly, no maytag action at all. The water was calm as soon as I was in my set up position so I rolled up smiling from ear to ear.

I have buried the bow many times surfing and flipped from broaching but this was different. If there had been rocks around this could have been painful. So beware of the steep waves, and if you have a slow boat prepare for possible endos. Paul

Well now that the cat is out of the bag:-) I figured if you wanted this general knowledgeyou'd chime im Paul so I'm glad you did. I didn't want to be the bearer of "Paul Endoed" :-) For the blow by blow from the spectator at the top of the wave in back!!!

As paul entered the area where some deep under water structure was forcing these waves up. The sets were large, very steep, and dumping. As the wave began to form it looked like a nice wave, but no sooner had the wave started to build it steepened rapidly and fast. As the wave crested i could see this was probably going to end with the "round side up!" The stern was picked up i the air, and all I could see was the last 3 feet of pauls boat! The wave then broke and I saw the boat start to invert and drop down into the trough. After the foam cleared there was the "round side" of the Explorer! But during the moment of calm after the storm, up from the froth rolls Paul!!! The first reaction by both of us was a double fisted "thumbs up!" one FANTASTIC endo, and one FANTASTIC combat roll!!! :-)

For the record no swimming this day at all!!!

Ken Condon

Romany 16

Yellow over white