Watch the Blackburn - Gloucester, Saturday the 21st

brwells

Blackburn Challenge is this Saturday; there are several people in it that we need to cheer for, and we'll also just have fun watching well over 100 kayaks and other self-propelled boats.

We'll launch at 10 which will give us well over an hour before some of the fastest finishers round the Dog Bar. We'll spend this time paddling around the eastern part of the harbor and finding some locations for spectating.

Since the Blackburn is using the High School for their main parking and Pavilion Beach as the ending (finish line is the Greasy Pole), we will try and launch at a different location. There is a small public lot on Rocky Neck just as you turn onto it. Across the street is Wonson's Cove. Unfortunately, low tide is at 10:49, so there will be a bit of a walk to get into the water.

If this put-in does not work, we will try the HS as a last resort.

Butts-in-boats at 10 so we can have time paddling around and in case we need to move the put-in, so try and be there around 9:30.

Post interest here if possible - if there are lots of us, we may change the put-in now.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Brian,

You should be able to launch from the Greasy Pole and park cars along the boulevard. Just outside Dogbar breakwater is a good place to watch from (conditions permitting) but people REALLY need to stay close to the wall so they don't interfere with the racers. Or, you can land at "lighthouse beach" and walk out Dogbar to cheer from above.

Liz N.

I appreciate the advice, Liz. Since the Blackburn finish is at the Greasy Pole and Pavilion Beach is where they have the end activities, I thought the Greasy Pole and the Boulevard would be taken up. So do you advise first trying here (the Boulevard) first and then the Rocky Neck location as the back-up?

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

>people REALLY need to stay close to the wall so they don't

>interfere with the racers.

Hi Liz,

Chances are that at least the first few skis will be running close to the wall in order to pick up any waves that they can. (Last time Barton did the race he was close enough to hit the rocks at the end of dog bar). Just keeping an eye open and getting out the way sharpish will suffice.

Andrew

I was right there and saw Barton make that tight turn 2 years ago. He cut is closer than anyone else. A group should only watch from outside Dogbar if it is flat, because they need to be right along the wall - not a good place to be in waves.

Liz N.

Sure. If there is room for your cars on the boulevard, stop and park. If not, proceed to E. Main St.

I may join you.

Another viewing location would be to land on Ten Pound Island and walk over to the west side. Racers will cut quite close to it. It might be possible to stay in the water near Ten Pound, if there is not too much boat traffic.

Liz N.

>Another viewing location would be to land on Ten Pound

>Island and walk over to the west side. Racers will cut quite

>close to it. It might be possible to stay in the water near

>Ten Pound, if there is not too much boat traffic.

This was exactly what I was hoping was possible. I did not think being near the Dog Bar would make sense for either us or the racers.

Now we just need the weather to cooperate.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

A few years back one of the racers dumped while making the corner at the dog bar. I was closest and got him back in his Thunderbolt pretty quick. He wouldn't let me empty the boat and paddled it with water in it to the Greasy Pole to finish. He did finish and thanked me when he saw me. He said he was quite cold by the time he finished though. So, if someone does go over their, it is OK to help them back into their boats.

Also have provided water to a few of them as they ran out before the finish - although it was not the hard core racers who asked. So it wouldn't hurt to carry a few bottles that you can pass of to them and they can keep on going. Racers not familiar with the harbor, will also sometimes ask the distance to the finish.

I have always watched by the dog bar as it is the most interesting place to see the racers come by before their final sprint to the beach and they appreciate the encouragement.

Suz

If I can be there--will be there--also deb dempsey a maybe--just need to know exact put-in--ps. why is it called 10 pound island, Liz? A group of us did the route on Thursday and we speculated why 10 pound for a name--but of course, none of us knew what we were talking about---les aka swearing ferret

This is definitely ON!

We will try launching at the Rocky Neck location first. Try and meet there at 9:30. If that location does not work, w will then try the Greasy Pole - parking on the Boulevard. Lastly, we can use the High School.

I certainly want to try and land on Ten Pound and watch instead of bobbing in the water. But we will have a good hour or more before the first racers appear, and therefore we can paddle around the east side of the harbor. I am open to any and all ideas as I have never paddled this area myself!

And remember, this is an SNG - everyone is responsible for themselves, there is no set course, whomever shows up we'll all see what we want to do.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

why is it called

>10 pound island, Liz?

Quick google search led to:

"Tradition tells us that Ten Pound Island, on the east side of Gloucester Harbor, received its name from the amount of money paid to the local Indians for the property by the early settlers. This commonly told tale is disputed by the Cape Ann historian Joseph Garland, who wrote that it was more likely named for the number of sheep pens (also known as pounds) on the island, which was reserved in the early days for "rams onlie."