6/23 Gloucester Greasy Pole to Magnolia Kettle Island

Adam Bolonsky

Launch from the ramp at the Greasy Pole on Gloucester's inner harbor and paddle five or six miles west to Kettle Island off Magnolia, a good place to snorkel and swim.

No bailouts enroute, so a level 2+ trip.

Landing at Kettle is tricky: rocky and slippery. But the rocks are nice to have lunch on.

Saturday, 6/23. Meet at 10:30 for an 11:00 shove off.

Free parking on the boulevard.

I might be interested. This would be my first NSPN event, but I need to check with someone first to see if I'm free that day. Also, my boat is a folder, so just how rocky is the landing? I usually hop out while still afloat so that I don't tear out the bottom. Is that possible on Kettle Island?

Marc

The likely intended landing spot is a small cove that is plenty shallow to hop out of your boat. Why just a couple weeks I thought I had gotten my boat high and dry enough to work out my sciatica attack when a largish wave came in and sucked the boat out into the cove. I had little trouble slipping back into the water and could have caught the boat myself though Roger had come in to capture the boat. Tides will likely be on the low side. Good fun to slide in off the slimy rocks, sorry you'll not be participating.

I'd like to do this trip but:

1) Saturday is the club solstice paddle/pot luck out of Marblehead harbor and

2) Parking on the boulevard is likely to be horrendous due to the fiesta this weekend.

If you reschedule, hopefully I can come.

Liz N.

>I might be interested. This would be my first NSPN event,

>but I need to check with someone first to see if I'm free

>that day. Also, my boat is a folder, so just how rocky is

>the landing? I usually hop out while still afloat so that I

>don't tear out the bottom. Is that possible on Kettle

>Island?

>

>Marc

You can hop out fine and wade in so long as the waves are down. But this is very much not your typical flatsand landing. Footing is tricky but lots of paddlers have landed there.

Adam

I think I'll join you.

But... on this occasion, I'd rather paddle than hang out on the island and snorkel. So if anybody's interested in pushing on to Manchester or Misery, let's do it while Adam's watching fish swim.

--David.