Woods Hole - Cuttyhunk round trip

JohnHuth

I'm interested in doing this round trip - which is about 37 miles total. It can be done in one day, if you time it right. You should be able to paddle at least 25 miles in "flat" (i.e. no current) conditions. Winds are typically from the SW in the afternoon, so this will probably give us a boost, in addition to the current.

After consulting the current tables, it appears that the right time to leave Woods Hole is when it's high tide at Boston Harbor. So, assuming a full day to do this - probably a 6 AM departure, and a 1 hour layover in Cuttyhunk around 11 AM - the most auspicious dates in June would be 9/10 and 23/24.

In July, it would be 7/8 or 22/23. June is already pretty cramped for me, but one of the July dates would work pretty well.

E-mail me if interested - reasonable experience required.

Hi John -

check ahead as to where you can lay up for a break. the lighthouse about a third of the way down is ok, but most the rest is private property. we've been chased off the beach at Quick's hole because of nesting plovers. it is a very long day, especially if you can't stop for a break.

have accurate current charts for your paddling day for both sides of the islands....if the wind comes up, you bonk, or otherwise get delayed, you really want to know which side of the chain to be on, as the currents have notably different schedules.