sunday 4/1 - cancel

jeffcasey

Is this "ham" as in: barbeque, gabbing, or amateur radio? I suspect the latter since it seems there's so many of us in the club. I used to think a fairly odd coincidence, but then kayakers seem to be gear-hounds, gearheads, and gadget lovers. Not many hobbies better than ham radio for that... (except computers, photography, astronomy, woodworking, ...)

Brian

KB1QZ

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

Geek! ;-)

>Is this "ham" as in: barbeque, gabbing, or amateur radio? I

>suspect the latter since it seems there's so many of us in

>the club.

Hmmm. Field Day from an island or maybe activating islands for IOTA or lighthouses for ARLHS. Quite a few trip possiblities there. Anyone take portable rigs on trips?

Ed Lawson

K1VP

>Hmmm. Field Day from an island or maybe activating islands

>for IOTA or lighthouses for ARLHS. Quite a few trip

>possiblities there. Anyone take portable rigs on trips?

That would be interesting, except it would definately be a QRP excercise unless someone wants to bring a generator with them in their kayak. Anyone ever tried raising a repeater from off shore? Could be a nice back up radio.

Brian

P&H Capella 163

Red/White/Black trim

NDK Explorer

Melon/Teal/White

> Anyone ever tried raising a repeater

>from off shore? Could be a nice back up radio.

I have from islands and you would be surprised how many repeaters there are all the way up the coast of Maine that you can work. None of my HTs are waterproof however.

I once worked Europe, Alsaka, and a few states from Isle Au Haut using a QPR rig and 30 ft. of wire so its possible to combine play with radios and kayaking. I may do it on the Jewell trip in May.

Ed Lawson