Day after Christmas Paddle?

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Anyone up for a day after Christmas paddle? We can either continue the tradition (if there is one already??) or start our own tradition:) Don't care where just as long as there's water....

UPDATE: Planning on Nahant at 11am for surf, circumnav, stupid boat tricks, whatever. Will post more specifics when forecasts become available and final details will be posted Christmas Eve Eve.

UPDATE2: Forecast is beginning to look promising...

UPDATE3: Damn forecast seems to be taking a turn for the worst, with predicted gusts to 40 on Tues. Will keep an eye on it an repost as day approaches.

UPDATE4: The forecast remains unchanged. At this point, we'll call it on the morning of the 26th by 9am unless the forecast changes significantly between now and then.

UPDATE5: We're heading to Nahant for 11 am as planned. If conditions warrant a cancellation, we'll do so on the beach.

Probably not a tradition, but: last year , I recall ,there was a Nahant surf session on Dec. 26th. Most surfed with short boats and two of us went farther afield in long boats.

People with their various post- Christmas schedules, energy levels, hangovers, can filter in as they please , rather than trickier logistics of meeting and leaving at once.

Just an idea., Depends on the surf to some degree, as well…

High tide on the 26th is at 3:30pm in Nahant. If there is any swell, the "wall" at Kings Beach (a couple miles north of Nahant) at high tide can be a real fun spot. The refracting waves can be surfed out into the incoming waves. In the right conditions, you can actually get airborne when the waves collide. The result is lots of laughs and plenty of roll practice. So...I think a Nahant paddle is in order. As Peter said, it's a good spot that allows for people to arrive whenever they want seeing as we don't usually travel very far, really just staying close by for playing in the surf etc. If the conditions are flat, we can always do a circumnav of Nahant, or maybe head out to the Graves. Also, the Tides restraunt has a great buffalo chicken sandwich.

Hey, after dealing with the Mama-san-in-law and the subsequent single malt needed to cope with the Dear Family aftermath, rolling around in 47 degree water is NADA!!

Bob and I (and Blue Tooth and the "REAL" Pintail) plan on being wherever everyone else is on the 26th, or, to honor our English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish/Canadian kayaking cousins, Boxing Day.

Deb M

SOME OF US HAVE TO WORK! This explains why Ed quizzed me about what I was going to do the day after Christmas . . . he'll probably be there and I won't. I took all my available time to play when the weather was warm . . .

Well, interesting forecast for tomorrow. From what I can tell, it looks like the wind will be 10 to 15, with some gusts 25 to 30. The wind will be from the SE in the am, and clocking to the SW as the afternoon wears on. Most likely there will be drizzle and light rain with air temps in the mid 40's and water temps about the same. There should be some surf, nothing spectacular, but fun sized 2+ footers. I am planning on showing up at the South end of Long Beach, Nahant around 11am as previously planned. Hope to see a bunch of other hearty souls there as well.