Lane's Cove 17

bob budd

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, I'd like to join you on one of these SNGs soon, but could you post trip level and duration as I'm not familiar with the geo. I'd rather start with level 2 given the water temp.

Thanks.

Depending on how you read the rules one cannot launch from Lane's Cove for a Level 2 trip. Depending on the day, getting in and out of the cove alone can be unintimidating to dangerous. I provide my view on a few of the sites I often launch from. Always feel you can say "its too dicey for me" from any site.

Lane's Cove - Access to the Salvages, Straitsmouth Island, Thacher Island to the east and Crane's and Wingaersheek Beaches to the west; other sites as well. Northerly and Northeasterly winds especially can whip things up directly outside and even inside the cove. If westerly winds are considered significant head west toward Wingaersheek or Crane's Beach (planning to ride them back). A long trip can take all the sites of interest east of Cape Ann. Seals can be seen, especially at the Salvages. Opportunities to stretch most anyone's skills. Short trips can stick to the coast in either or both directions and "gunkhole". Though the cove itself is sheltered there is little protection from inclement weather, either when launching or if something comes up, so be aware of the weather and/or your options. I need to get the key from Craig at work, he owns a beach house down the way...

Pebble Beach - A rocky beach for getting on and off the vehicle. A bit rocky to land/launch at lower tides, dumping surf is not uncommon. Access to the Milk Island, Straitsmouth Island, Thacher Island; other sites as well. Easterly winds especially can whip things up but Westerly winds will resist your return. Long trips can take all the sites of interest east of Cape Ann. Seals can be seen, especially at the Salvages. Opportunities to stretch most anyone's skills. Reasonable surf often found at Good Harbour and Long Beach.stick to the coast in either or both directions and "gunkhole". There is little protection from inclement weather, either when launching or if something comes up, so be aware of the weather and/or your options.

Tuck Pt / Tuck's Pt - Salem Sound provides a relatively protected location to paddle with land masses relatively close to each other. Tuck Pt is deep in the Sound and seldom to get out of or into. You can drive most of the way out to your boat there. Because you're deep in the Sound you need to paddle a bit to get beyond the coastal gunk holes. Tuck's Pt puts you in near Misery Island and you can follow a string of land masses all the way to Marblehead Neck. These islands provide the opportunity to avoid weather on the lee side.

Swampscott / Lynn / Nahant - Launch and landing protected. Spots like Dredd Ledge and Egg Rock. Circumnavigating Marblehead Neck is a longish trip but not so much if an old gentleman ferries your boat across the causeway in his pickup truck. The rocks on the way to Marblehead are neat as are those at Nahant. You can hit the Graves Lighthouse and (outer) Harbor Islands from here but its a bit of a haul.

Deer Island - No protection from suitably inclement weather though a relatively mellow beach with few rocks. Good place to hit the harbour islands though you need to cross the channels with due haste; if you don't see any boats its good practice. Opportunities for most any conditions depending on the weather, the Graves Lighthouse is often the key objective and is basically a bunch of rocks a significant but not unmanagable open water paddle from Outer Brewster that may not be landable in moderate conditions. The proximity of many islands allows one to choose not to "go all the way" for any reason.