Lake Umbagog Kayak Camping-Sept 22-24

gyork

I've secured a beautiful island site that can accomodate 6 and welcome 5 others to join me. I am familiar with this area, and, given good weather (unlike the reported trip last year!) there are numerous kayaking and a few hiking options. Logistics including carpooling, meals, etc. to be worked out later. This advance notice to benefit those who would like to join me and plan vacation time accordingly. Being a new member, not sure how you would express interest via E reply, but that's probably not an issue with savvy members.

Gary

Gary,

I'm also rather new to both the club and area...is there any more info about this trip so I could determine whther I would be interested/ ..WHere is it, what type of paddling, miles/day, general conditions, etc.

Thanks, Jackie

>I've secured a beautiful island site that can accomodate 6

>and welcome 5 others to join me. I am familiar with this

>area, and, given good weather (unlike the reported trip last

>year!) there are numerous kayaking and a few hiking options.

> Logistics including carpooling, meals, etc. to be worked

>out later. This advance notice to benefit those who would

>like to join me and plan vacation time accordingly. Being a

>new member, not sure how you would express interest via E

>reply, but that's probably not an issue with savvy members.

>Gary

Jackie, the campsite is r14 in Sunday Cove. If you follow this link http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/Umb...UmbagogCmp.html you can view a PDF of the remote sites. ~5-6 miles to site from put-in (Fri AM,Androscoggin River, Errol). Saturday paddle <10 miles. Sat nite back to campsite. Sun AM paddle back to cars. For a general discription of a typical trip, google "Lake Umbagog trip reports". Trip #22 reflects a typical experience, though I suspect we will explore the quieter northern part of the lake.

Gary

That looks like a great choice of campsites -- nice and remote. We've stayed at R28 a couple of times, near the eagle's nest at the mouth of the Magalloway. But that also gets tourboat traffic going to see -- guess what.

The north end of the lake is definitely the best. That little inlet just north of the marsh NW of R28 is delightful, and we've seen moose tracks in there, though no actual moose (maybe a good thing ;-). Another neat paddle, close to Sunday cove, is to head up the Rapid River against the current as far as you can manage, and then turn around and float out. Anybody know how far you can get -- I was in a canoe and not particularly venturesome that day.

Deborah and I might join you on this trip. We have to sort out our summer schedule, however, so we'll get back to you.

--David.

Gary,

Sounds wonderful...and now that I've finished Leadership training and can have (more) fun, I'm disappointed I have to pass as that week-end is Rosh Hashanah (happens every year)...Hope you have a wonderful time.

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...

I was up there last year at about that time, for three nights. The lake is phenomenal -- especially the north end! And Sunday Cove was my favorite part of the lake (though there are a few houses along the shore). You picked a great spot.

We saw 6-7 bald eagles while we were there, including the pair by our campsite (#28) which were the first successful post-DDT nesting eagles in New Hampshire but, to my knowledge, have not successfully fledged an eaglet in about 5 years.

You can only paddle about 1 or 1.5 miles up the Rapid before you hit (you guessed it...) rapids. But it's well worth the trip.

Daniel Smith

Kayak Instructor & Guide

Charles River Canoe & Kayak

Just about all the remote campsites on Lake Umbagog are good, and R14 might be the best of them all. Good choice! Sunday Cove is remote and tranquil, and this island campsite has its own little beach, and one of the better privies, which are generally skanky in most of the other (otherwise very good) campsites.

Campsite 14 requires a crossing to get to/from, and since strong winds and stiff chop are a quite regular occurrence on open parts of the lake, this would make yours a level three trip.

Thanks Peter-you are so right. I remember being stranded there at an eastern site while canoe camping in the past. There is potential for some tricky wave action from any winds across a good 2+ mile fetch (winds typically NW and afternoon). I'll edit the listing. Would "Level 2-3" be appropriate(this is my first attempt at posting a private trip)? Thanks.

Gary

The trip would be solid level three, because of the crossing which in some (not uncommon) conditions could put a level two paddler in a difficult position.

A good number of other campsites could be recommended for those looking for level 2 paddling. Campsites 28 and 29 (near the bald eagle nest ) for example, would be level 2- friendly, as they are near more protected waters, and offer bailouts which don't require any crossings.