Any Interested in trip to The Saguenay fjord?

JKNSPN01

I have some friends in Montreal that will get referrals for me in the Saguenay region, for guides, and other local info.

After I get some substantial info and a few interested people I'll propose a time frame and approximate cost for the trip.

Jason

The couple that comes down from time to time would be myself and my wife.

I had been considering planning a trip for NSPN to the Saguenay/Escoumins region to do some whale watching. Because of the distances involved (6 hrs for me, 9-12 hrs for you southerners) a long weekend would be the ideal time. The whales are only starting to come in at the beginning of the summer, so the long weekend in july is iffy. The long weekend in september would probably offer the best chance of paddling with the whales, so I was leaning toward an outing for the labor day weekend next year. There is a camp ground, Paradis Marin, that has its own put in and the majority of the whale sightings are in this area just north of Tadoussac. Something for the members to consider for next year.

http://www.paradismarin.com/pages/paradispag.html

http://www.whalesonline.com/

Dan

Aquanaut,

Traffic Yellow over white

I did that trip last summer with other members of NSPN. It was an experience of a life time--for example, having three adolescent minke whales decide to play underneath my boat while paddling on the River--one whale decides that he or she was going look me right in the eye by twisting as close to my boat as possible without knocking me over--and sticking his or her nose where my hand was in the water--so go if you have the chance--the worse part is the drive--long and boring for the most part--but once you get there--it is worth the journey--I have the name of the eco-friendly Native American owned resort where we stayed--it has views of the St. Lawrence from every picture window of your condo--also a great restaurant for the pppo--all reasonable cost--so email me for the info--I will help you with the information I have --just email me for the details--les

Just got back from Saguenay. We were there for a week & kayak camped down the Fjord. The guide we used was from Azumit Aventure. They don't speak much english and deal only with canadian money, no credit cards. For $600 canadian we had a guide and food for 5 days for 2 people. After the trip we stayed at ESSIPIT. Katrina remnets caused problems there with road washouts - 138 was closed for several days. All the other boaters got out of the Fjord, but we paddled on. Trees were blown down at our campsite and we had an interesting meal with 5 people and a 2 burner stove in a 2 man tent eating cheese fondue while the storm raged outside. Beluga whales traveled with us for 2 days, my wife was singing the Baby Beluga song for hours on end. Also saw a Blue Whale and 2 Fin whales. The whale numbers are way dowm this year.

The camp sites in the Fjord have 6 platforms with an outhouse, so they are pretty civilized. The Fjord is hard on glass boats, not may places to take out - even for a break. We were in boats for 3-4 hours at a time. My boat (P & H Quest, not the Orion - that never gets holes) had 2 holes from the previous week downeast paddling in the rocks off Halifax Island. But the packing tape patches held the entire trip. Booking sites in the Fjord, you tell them where you will put in and how long you will be there and they assign the sites. They've had problems with over optimistic kayakers, not making their destinations so the sites get jammed with too many people. The platorms are big enough that 2 tents could share in a pinch. We had no such problems. Average paddle was 10 miles a day, with 2 shorts days of 6 miles.

The drive is long and with gas prices they way they are it cost over $100 US on the way back and took about 9 hours driving time.

Next Big Trip: Bay of Fundy next August....

David & Jeanne Lothrop