Anyone up for a river paddle?

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

Update: Based on interest received so far, would also consider the Gloucester area.

As the subject line suggests, anyone interested in a paddle on the Merrimack or Ipswich tomorrow (3/26)? NOAA is predicting a temperature around 40 degrees for Newburyport with only slight winds. I want to start getting out and about on the real water, but I think the big wide ocean might have to wait for warmer weather. So if anyone else is in the same boat and wants to meet up, post a reply or send me an email at kevin dot beckwith at mindspring dot com. (By the way, why do we write our email addresses this way on the board?)

Kevin

The idea is to not post an e-mail address in a form that can be read by spam address harvesters, which are programs that crawl the net looking for e-mail addresses to add to their spam target lists. Studies have shown that harvesters do not decode addresses spelled out in any way, so the simplest technique accomplishes the goal.

In case you are wondering, many if not most members of the board do have a valid e-mail address behind the e-mail icon at the top of each posting (you do). But you can only get that if you are logged in to the board, so address harvesters can't grab it. I guess people do not trust everybody to know about that icon, so they repost their address in the message itself, in the cryptic form.

--David.

As noted recently there are alot of "newbies" reading this message board, not to mention the value of reminders. To that end I would note that river water may be a bit warmer than ocean water but present temperatures are still capable of inducing hypothermia. The most obvious advantage to paddling a river such the Merrimack is the proximity to shoreline and assistance one won't find, say, at the Graves Light House.

P.S. - If you see a bald eagle swimming please get a picture.