cold water skill (practice)

mesbennett

So,with all this discussion about practicing skills in cold water, is anyone going out this weekend whom I could join? anyone going to post a s/g?...I would if I knew the area better (took me 1 hr to find Pebble Beach!! Lesson learned: remember to bring the directions! Thanks Liz for the rescue!)

maryb nh

Explorer lv

Mystic

I just wanted to comment about cold water temps. Right now, the water temps are 50 degrees give or take a degree or two. We have not yet got to what I call cold water. Certainly, 50 is chilly and deserves some consideration, but as we get into winter, and then into the first few months of the new year is when the water temps will be in the 30's. That is cold...and is considerably different from our current temps. So, for you newer folks, the best practice is to get into the water at the shore whenever you are going out for a paddle, do a couple rolls, dunk your head, get a feel for what the water temps are, and how they will feel with your clothing setup. I find that this a good practice to "condition" yourself to cold water temps, and that your system won't be completely shocked in the event of an unplanned capsize.