Not-as-cold Weather Paddle: Wed March 6, 10am Riverhead Beach

Amid the flurry of trips posted far in the future, how about something for... the day after tomorrow? It will likely crack 50 F with light/moderate wind, though cloudy and probably foggy or drizzling. LW around 1:30 PM. Waves around 2 ft @ 7 seconds. If you invested in some winter paddling gear and you're free, come and use it!

This trip will be launch at 10 am out of Riverhead Beach in Marblehead -- meet at 9:30 am. Parking is free since it's off season. The goal is just to get out on the water and enjoy the "not-as-cold-ness". No particular aims for mileage or specific activities.

If you want to come, please request to join* here:

https://forms.gle/nWpGE1BvFjTkDXQe9

(*Even with the warmer air it will be a very cold water environment (water < 40 F) requiring winter paddling skills and gear.  For the sake of group safety, this is not a registration form, but a request to join the trip. I will get in touch to review or confirm your participation—thanks for understanding.)

Hope to see some people there!

I have a schedule conflict, so can't make it.   But I am curious what you expect/need for head gear.   Can you get away with wool/polypro, or is neoprene the requirement. 

Well, for this trip the main requirement is body and hand immersion protection - drysuit and gloves - plus some sort of winter headgear, but nothing terribly specific. On this paddle, if you were to swim, we would get you back in your boat or on someone's back deck before your head exposure became a problem.

Looking to future cold weather paddles, though, wool/polypro is not as effective an insulator as neoprene since the water soaks through the material. I'd strongly recommend a neoprene cap or hood. I have seen guides in Iceland paddling in very thick wool hats. These same guides, on the other hand, were happy to swim in 30-something degree water with just bathing suits. So I don't think they are your normal everyday humans.