Wednesday Lunch Paddle 8/23/2023

Joseph Berkovitz

I’m traveling without laptop, hence this will be an abbreviated post with more information to be supplied late Monday night. 

A lunch paddle is indeed planned for Wednesday launching from Nahant Boat Ramp (unlike the beach, it is free parking) and going around the tip of Nahant to land at East Point for lunch and maybe a hike to the top of the peninsula for a view. Directions to the ramp: https://maps.app.goo.gl/e1gLFiEJAGRb9sm78?g_st=ic

This paddle is about 8 nm round trip. The waters at the tip of nahant are exposed Atlantic ocean but we will not be landing there. For what it’s worth the forecast is for benign conditions and you can avoid all the rocks if you wish. If you don’t wish, please bring a helmet.  

The meeting time will be 9:00 with the aim of launching by 9:30 (please don’t complain about the launch time unless you happen to control the tides).

trip is limited to 8 paddlers. please register at: https://forms.gle/s4zQAiLLeEWHng646

I will follow up with more information once I am home. As per the usual there are requirements for basic gear, dress for immersion and seaworthy boats with static lines and bulkheads.  please see another Wed. Lunch Paddle post for details. 

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz
Wrong date

Sincerely not attempting to hijack but I can't fight the traffic to Nahant on a weekday but will probably paddle in the Portsmouth area tomorrow. Let me know if you find yourself in the same boat.

Hi Doug,

You did register for tomorrows nahant paddle if that is what you were asking, and we have a group of 6 at this point. We do not need a full group of 8, that’s just the limit. 

I normally send a confirmation and float plan the night before. 

I am not sure I understood your question. Did I answer it?

Hi Joe,

I am new-ish to sea kayaking (I’ve done a few guided tours in Maine) but bough my boat with doing more in mind.  I paddled six miles on Duxbury bay Sunday, and am looking forward to getting out more in the ocean.  Do you have the water temperature for the area we will be paddling?  I’d like to be sure to wear the right clothes.  Suggestions welcome.  ?. I’m looking forward to this.

Hi Amy - the water temperature is 66 F at Boston buoy right now. Tomorrow we will go over ways you can get this information yourself. 

You should wear synthetic-fiber clothing that dries quickly and protects you from the sun, it should be something that you would be comfortable swimming in. Also bring a wind/water proof jacket in case of a breeze, like a rain shell. We will likely get a bit wet at the very beginning of the session to make sure everyone’s comfortable - 65 isn’t very cold water! I will be wearing athletic shorts and a couple of polypropylene layers. But tastes vary. Feel free to private message me if you have further questions. 

do you have a spray skirt?