Wednesday (Civilized Start, AMC) Lunch Paddle, June 21, 2023

FYI, since there is no NSPN Lunch Paddle on the calendar for this week, I am seeking AMC approval for a sea kayak trip out of Portsmouth on June 21, 2023.  I am tentatively planning to launch around 11am from Fort Stark.  Registration on the AMC website will be required, which means you will need to electronically sign the AMC waiver, but you do NOT need to be a paid AMC member. 

There are no parking or membership fees for this trip.  I've told the AMC computer to have a wait-list if more than seven individuals register.

You can register for the trip as soon as it is listed on https://activities.outdoors.org

3 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

Bill, what's the parking situation at Fort Stark? 

Free, dirt lot.  On a cool Wednesday, I don't expect a group of at most 8 kayakers to have any issues.  Though the carry to launch is definitely longer than Odiorne.  It is a beach launch, not a boat ramp.  They had one porta-potty the kickoff paddle weekend, and the state employee said they were getting a second soon.

Weather point forecast on the water is SE 10kt wind, 1-2ft seas, sunny, high 66 degrees.

Here are the details I have @Jim Snyder

Fort Stark State Historic Site

• Free Parking (State might start charging in 2024)
  • Dirt parking lot (Being expanded starting October 2023)
  • Free Kayak Launching
    • Longish carry to beach for kayak launching
    • Beach is just inside the Little Harbor breakwater.
  • Seasonal Porta-Potties
    • Nominally Memorial Day to Labor Day, but reportedly installed a few weeks late in 2023.
    • On June 10th, 2023 had one standard porta-potty installed. 
      • Staff expecting a handicapped porta-potty to join it soon.
      • Staff member said in past years they had three porta-potties, and the staff member was not confident that two would be sufficient during the peak season.
  • Gate officially open daily from 10:00am-6:00pm
    • However, staff said volunteers currently opening the gate around 8:00am.
  • Visitor Center is only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 10:00am-3:00pm.
    • Kayak parking likely to be tight when visitor center is open.
    • Might also be tight parking on good "Beach Days."

https://www.nhstateparks.org/find-parks-trails/fort-stark-state-historic-site

https://goo.gl/maps/gmEWaZztB3ivrh597

The beautiful weather Wednesday trip now has three-to-sea and is a GO!  Thank you for signing up  @Frederick Goodman@Joyce Carpentersigned up yesterday.  We have room for more, but I will run the trip with just the three of us.

Fred, @Jim Snyderhas posted questions about the parking, but has not (yet?) signed up.