10th Annual Jewell I. kayak camping, May 18-20, 2018

gyork

Level 3 trip that especially welcomes new kayak campers, and a reunion for those of us who don't see each other often enough. Here's a great opportunity for you paddlers who would like to try kayak-camping without the pesky bugs (beware of ticks!). This will be the 10th annual trip to Jewell, which has multiple campsite options and latrines. We typically have 10 or more (2016=record of 19!) paddlers.  The trip is limited to the first 20 paddlers to RSVP on the calendar listing; beyond that a waitlist will be kept.  Send me a PM please if you are a new RSVPer.
The Common Adventure Model (CAM) will be adopted.

The SUGGESTED itinerary is as follows:

FRIDAY: Arrive at _____ (multiple launch site options, with each pod working out details privately or on NSPN Message Board under "trips") on Friday, May 18, in plenty of time for a ______am launch (LT-0756). If you are new to kayak camping, you may need extra time packing your boat, so plan on arriving no later than _______. Traditional pot-luck supper. 

SATURDAY: Agenda TBD-bring your ideas for a day paddle or island activities (HT-1509). Prior trips have included Whaleboat/Little Whaleboat, Potts Harbor, Greens, Eagle, Great Diamond, geocaching, Jewell's WW1 and WW2 military installations, Google satellite notoriety, and general camaraderie/gourmet foods around the camp fire.

SUNDAY: Back to cars via ???? (LT-0947).

If you would like to join this group of friendly paddlers, or have any questions about this trip or camping in general, Private Message (PM) me.

Please PM the following information to your specific pod organizer:
-Auto color, make, model, and tag#.
-Contact info, including cell, Es, H,W phone, emergency contact, and permission to share with participants.

gary

IMGP1332.thumb.JPG.42574c4b7b683f703beff990c3556362.JPG

Edited by gyork

• 2 months later...

I sent an email to Dolphin Marina inquiring about parking cost, after being surprised last year with a higher than expected charge added to my lunch bill. I received a response from Chris, which is copied below. It appears as though the fee is somewhat negotiable. Last year, I parked for 3 nights and the initial parking charge on my lunch bill was $60. After a few of us complained, it was reduced to $30. I've never paid for day & night parking anywhere along the Maine coast. It has either been free, or a maximum of $10 per night. At some point we should get back to Chris with an estimate of number of cars and what we would be willing to pay for parking.

Parking is very limited, but we would like to accommodate your group.  In your 
email you do not specify the number of people and vehicles, do you have an 
idea?  Depending on the number, I can try and park some of you at our lot
1 mile down the road.

Our posted parking fee is $10 per day and $10 per night.  What do you think
works for your group?

Thank you
Chris 

Let’s take this off-line (sorta) please, by starting a group message thread to include all those who have RSVP’d on the calendar listing, where we can sort out trip details.  This Luddite will pass on that task, and open it to any of the remaining 19 to take a crack at.

g

• 4 weeks later...

A disappointing last-minute mass mutiny has led to open enrollment for this weekend's Jewell I. trip.  Pods launching from Th thru Saturday.  Send me a PM if you'd like to join us.

gary