York Harbor to Nubble Light

cfolster

What a delightful day it was for paddling on Saturday.  Very little wind, calm seas, hazy sun.  

Mike, Doug and I put in at a leisurely 10:30am from York Harbor and made our way out the harbor entrance.  We were paddling against the flood, but there were just a few ripples at the day marker and it wasn't very strong.  As we passed the rocks at the entrance and the beach by the cliff walk, there were just tiny waves.  It was nice to paddle up next to the rocks without worrying about incoming waves.

As we rounded the corner we made the decision to take the straight shot across the bay directly to Nubble - chatting along the way, until suddenly it was close and you could make out the colorful little ant people scrambling over the rocks.  I stopped to take the obligatory picture:

vista.JPG

Lobster rolls and other yummy food was calling us, so we promptly landed on the north side and pulled the boats up to relative safety.  

Landing spot.JPG

Landed - ready for lunch.JPG

My mom lives in York and had decided to meet us for lunch at Fox's and she was waiting up top for us.

Mom.JPG

We enjoyed a leisurely lunch of lobster rolls, fish sandwiches and chicken fingers.  Yum!  

After lunch, I scrambled down to check on the boats and the water was getting close!  Time to go!

Nubble2_(2).jpg

water_is_coming_for_us.jpg

I took a selfie to show I was there:

selfie.JPG

We decided to paddle around the outside of the island since the seas were so calm and none of us had ever been on the outside.  Sorry no pics, but it doesn't have a bad side.  Doug took a last picture before we left.

Nubble3.jpg

For the return trip we chose to take the scenic route and paddle in to Long Sands and along the beach.  It was close to high tide, so there wasn't much beach left, but not much surf at all.  Just one line of surf almost at the beach about 1 to 2 feet high.  We made it about half way down paddling just outside the surf line and Mike was hoping to do some side surfing until a zealous lifeguard yelled and yelled and yelled at us to paddle further out.  So we pointed our boats towards the far shore of East Point and left the beachgoers behind.  

On the way back in, we paddle along the rocks and were momentarily followed by a (hopefully friendly) drone.  It was still flooding and was a bit stronger now and we enjoyed a fun ride in.

So, boring trip report, but an absolutely delightful day with great company!  Wish all trips were like this.  Thanks Doug for the pics!

getting ready to go.JPG

view from launch.JPG