W Muscongus Bay, 8.9.17

gyork

We had hoped that Day Trip #3 would include a jaunt out to Eastern Egg Rock, to hopefully catch a glimpse of puffins. Mother nature had different plans, and predicted 10 to 15 out of the SW, gusts up to 20.  That was more than enough to dissuade Dan and Cath to join us for any trip that day. The contingency plan was to paddle in Muscongus Bay with Joe and Paul, launching from New Harbor. By Wednesday morning, the forecast had diminished slightly to 5-10. Joe had Gaia-plotted a nice route in western Muscongus Bay, of approximately 11 miles. We decided to launch further north, from Round Pond, a 15-minute drive from the campground. Our late lunch at 9:30 allowed me to meet Lund-launching Chris from MITA, who was there with a volunteer who had driven up that day from Marblehead, with plans to take care of business on one or more of the MITA islands. A solo peddler launched at the same time as our trio, and I invited him to join us, but he took off on his own in a southerly direction. We paddled straight across to Louds Island, followed the western shoreline to Hog, and continued in a clockwise direction.

IMGP0026.thumb.JPG.526d79d2dedbb20291c973faa5f2d162.JPG

We chatted up a woman who is the resident artist at the Audubon camp on northern Hog.  This boat nearby is a preferred site of an osprey who prefers lassitude and on-board dining.

IMGP0029.thumb.JPG.fe648f9130ef0939f53532029a30c327.JPG

We then made for Crow, around the corner, where we stopped to stretch our legs. A quick scan of the island turned up ~ 10 tents set up, without clues as to whether this was a large private group, or members of an outfitter trip. Either way, a testament to the popularity of this MITA island, given its central Bay location.   We had fun with map and compass, coupled with visual cues, in identifying which of the islands, including Thief, we were seeing. We made our way up the backside of Hog over to Louds, ducking into any lee we could find. Towards the northeastern Cove of Louds, my mind started playing tricks on me. My initial impression was a shipwreck, but I convinced myself of an abandoned house sitting up on a granite pier, surrounded by a white picket fence, dense vegetation overtaking the front yard. As we got closer, this was clearly a wreck of “Columbia"  ( http://lcnme.com/currentnews/columbia-aground-off-louds-island/ ).  Locals in a motorboat indicated this was the second summer she had been left on the rocks; it has deteriorated significantly from its picture in the newspaper. IMGP0039.thumb.JPG.510b779c8cc16e08d41f436c4120d7f6.JPG

We enjoyed lunch and leg stretch at a sandy beach and picnic table.IMGP0032.thumb.JPG.48c5ff2250e438b02f2a572c445ca89c.JPG

By this time, the wind was up to 10 K, and after rounding the southern tip of Louds, we had a nice ride back to the harbor. Joe would leave soon thereafter, needing to get home for an appointment the next day. Paul and I went back to the campground and looked forward to our ferry ride out to Monhegan (Paul was able to get the very last ticket available) from New Harbor the next day, which proved to be spectacular!

IMGP0050.thumb.JPG.dc10ee73f04510e15ea1109a62939743.JPGIMGP0049.thumb.JPG.3b839eef8297b59c1bed6c54210bf452.JPG

Gaia link of route and stats:  W Muscongus Bay with Joe and Paul

Parting thoughts:  

-Still want to see Puffinland, but my threshold of joining or leading this long voyage (5.2M one-way from New Harbor) would be a forecast of winds 5kt or less/light and variable.

-Good to have a contingency plan, and Muscongus has plenty, that allows for a 11+M paddle, and enough time to scoot back to MA.

-As always, I thoroughly enjoyed time on the ME coast with wonderful company.

Local knowledge:  

-Round Pond:  I don’t recall a Public Landing sign driving north on #32.  Take Back Shore Road off of #32 (1st right after white church on left, N-bound), right at the Vee, then next right on to Town Landing Road.  Parking is at a premium, so quickly unload boats/gear and drive far back up the road, park to the side.  This frees up waterfront spaces for the locals.

-New Harbor:  Got a peek of the presumed public launch (Delorme) from the road at dead low-mostly concrete ramp and a possible short muddy section, but plenty of parking on this mid-week day.  Refer to Google maps and locate the ramp at the southern tip of the harbor.

-Sherwood Forest campsite:  Reasonable rates, wi-fi, $0.25/5min showers, 5 min walk to Pemaquid Beach, potable tap water Sherwood Forest Campsite

Edited by gyork