Compilation of trip routes

gyork

I typically use g-map pedometer for recording trip routes, but I don't believe it's able to accommodate multiple trips on a single URL? Does anyone know of a site/link where I would be able to record all my separate trip routes since I began paddling? Thank you.

gary

Hi, Gary,

Did you want to share them with others, or just have them for yourself? What device are you collecting the tracks with?

I use a Garmin GPS, and upload the tracks to Google Earth on my own computer ("file->open...", choose the "gpx" option. It will take .gdb or .gpx.

From there you can save as a .kml file, and get them onto Google Maps ("My Maps") for sharing, but there are limits to how much you can get up there. For example, I just tried it with whatever I happened to have in Google Earth right now, getting this. I got an error that "only 5 layers and 500 features" were loaded. I can see that it didn't load any track that was actually a folder with multiple tracks (like when I made a folder for one day consisting of tracks before and after lunch). Also it just dropped some regular tracks, I guess because there were too many. I have about 64 tracks on Google Earth and it looks like I got about 53 on Google Maps. To get more data onto one map they want me to upgrade to Google Maps "Pro", apparently.

Some time ago they upgraded "My Maps" on Google Maps. The new "My Maps" had no GPS support so I was still using the classic one. They apparently just recently added the GPS features back in to the new My Maps, but I didn't know until just now when I tried it. I haven't learned to use it yet. I have to admit it looks pretty neat as it is - I like how when you hover over the name of the track the track itself lights up on the map and vice-versa. Looks like they have also removed the classic "My Maps", at least I couldn't figure out how to invoke it just now.

To export multiple tracks from Google Earth as a kml file, you need to collect them into one folder, and export ("save as...") the whole folder. You need to choose .kml (the non-compressed version) from the pulldown. Then get into Google Maps and use the import feature to load the .kml file.

Hope that helps,

Lisa

Edited by LHuntington

... it didn't load any track that was actually a folder with multiple tracks (like when I made a folder for one day consisting of tracks before and after lunch)...

I misspoke there - the folders were imported too. Just needed to scroll down a bit.