October 25 - Cold Water Clinic - Newbury Kayak and Canoe

Suz

Suz Hutchinson will be conducting the yearly cold water event this year on October 25. It will take place at Newbury Kayak and Canoe, 291 High Street (Route 1A), Newbury MA. We will launch from there either off the mucky boat ramp or utilizing the docks. Let's call a 9:30 start time. Plan to park below the shop and line up the cars against the hill below the shop. When you arrive, you can unload your boats and load up your gear for a trip down the river to Plum Island Sound.

This will be done as a "learning on the go" style paddle as was done for the Spring CAM workshop on the water. (Unfortunately Scott is unavailable to assist.)

• Review of cold water physiology and clothing; recognizing hypothermia;

• Dunk tests

• Rescues and tows

• Group scenarios; CAM/leadership issues related to cold water;

• Warm up practice (on-water and on-shore)

• Indoors debrief

Any updates to the trip will be posted to the NSPN website and the evening before we will post the location depending on the weather. More information will also be posted on the calendar.

The paddling will be within level 2 guidelines on NSPN. Please read those: http://www.nspn.org/paddle_levels.htm

We would like volunteers (one per 3-4 participants) so that we will not need to limit participants. Please include this in your RSVP if you have attended a cold water workshop in the past and are now looking to help.

If you are interested in using a drysuit for the day, Suz will bring Kokatat demo suits and Newbury Kayak will have them available to use also. They will be available on a first come/first serve basis. When rsvp'ing let Suz know if you are hoping to use a drysuit and what size you think you are so she can make note:

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_mens.asp
http://www.kokatat.c...zing_womens.asp

If planning to use a drysuit, please bring form fitting fleece to wear underneath, wool/fleece socks and closed shoes that can be worn OVER the bulky drysuit sock and your socks. Fleece jackets are too bulky to go underneath a drysuit.

Please bring any gloves/hoods/hats/shoes that you have that are extra so that if someone else is missing an article of clothing, they can borrow.

Pack a lunch and a hot drink for the day.

Note that there is one (super clean) porta potty at the shop.

RSVP - suz@kayakne.com . Please don't private message or facebook. I have some documents that I will be e-mailing to all who are attending so those other means of communication are more difficult. Also, in the event that this cancels due to weather, I would want to e-mail all.

• 2 weeks later...

Dwell on it no longer... just sign up if you are considering coming. My November is booked but I am planning on doing a December Cold Water Paddle where we take the workshop up a notch and paddle utilizing what we learned in the workshop. In order to go on the paddle, you will need to have done a cold water workshop.

I just canceled this event and removed it from the calendar. We had 7 attendees and three canceled last night due to various reasons and so that left 5 people volunteering and only four attendees and the numbers just didn't make sense.

Thanks Sal, Lorrie, Glenn, Jeff for volunteering to help!

Suz