Boston Harbor Islands - Level 3 - Sunday, June 6th

alcoons

BOSTON HARBOR MARINE FORECAST: 4:31 PM FRI JUL 4 2014

SUN SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

----------------------

Given the above Boston Harbor Marine Forecast, it appears conditions are great for a trip Sunday. Need a minimum of three paddlers. I post it now to gage interest assuming conditions remain as posted above.

Date: Sunday, June 6th

Time: 10 AM Sharp: Beach Briefing and Launch.

Parking: Note that parking can be tight but usually works out. However, this is a holiday weekend. Please plan accordingly.

Put in: Last parking lot (on left) before Deer Island Wastewater Treatment Plant. See map below.

Tides: High: 6:14 AM, Low: 12:23 PM, High 6:39 PM

Level: 3 CAM. We all work together.

Distance: 12-14, let's we shoot for 12 and see how the group feels.

Possible route: Boston Light is always a fun goal, but landing, while usually permitted, can be denied due to previously scheduled large groups arriving on large boats.http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6358657 . Actually route depends on conditions and group.

"Last Facilities": Very nice restroom at the Public Landing on Shirley Street, 1-2 miles before put-in.

Oops: Guess I am a month behind. Meant to post this trip for tomorrow, JULY 6th not June.

Updated Marine Forecast: BOSTON HARBOR-504 AM SAT JUL 5 2014

SUN: W WINDS AROUND 10 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

Bryan and anyone one else who is considering paddling,

I am going out tonight (Saturday) around 5 PM and will not be back or see email until 11 PM or midnight. I will be at the put-in tomorrow as advertised, but make sure you check here in the morning in case conditions change.

Al

781-879-9377 cell (no email)

I am very interested. NOAA currently predicts for tomorrow: SW winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 20 kt in the afternoon. Waves 1 foot or less.

Given increasing winds over the course of the day, would it make sense to have BIW earlier? Would probably also help with parking. I'm up for anything though.

Hi everyone. Just back from a loosing Red Sox game. Ugh.

7:30 PM Saturday Marine Forecast:

SUN -- SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

----------------------------------------

So here is where I stand and I really wanted to paddle:

1. We cannot chance 25 kt winds, particularly from the SW which is generally in the direction we would take to return to the put-in while crossing open water for 2 miles (the channel and the trip along Deer Island. There will not be a lee shore to hide behind most likely. Who knows when or if the gusts will develop: noon, later, not at all.

2. Even if we left at 9 AM, we would have to assume a minimum of 4 hours and probably more to paddle 12 miles plus breaks. That would put us returning in the "afternoon".

3. Alternative paddles from the same put-in would have to either: Be shorter and would hardly get us into the Islands or head towards Boston but that is against the tide. Note that 9 AM is mid-tide with the water if flowing out to sea.

------

Conclusion:

If nothing changes with the weather forecast and no one can provide a better logic and/or route, I think I have to suggest this paddle is beyond level 3 and should not be undertaken.

I will be online at 6:30 AM and open to suggestions and hopefully a better forecast, but right now I do not expect to paddle the proposed route.

Sorry,

Al

Writing this at 6:20 AM Sunday:

-----

Marine Weather from 3:42 AM - Not updated yet

BOSTON HARBOR-342 AM EDT SUN JUL 6 2014

TODAY W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

---------

So this looks marginally good. However, TV Channel 5 just a moment ago reported winds around Boston already at 16 MPH with expected guests up to 35 MPH.

---------

So my conservative conclusion is that I do not expect to paddle the proposed route. I will keep checking this discussion until 8 AM.

Frustrating,

Al

Anyone up for a leisurely paddle or a distance paddle on the Merrimack from Cashman Park? PM me or post here. I can be ready at a moment's notice. Please also post any objections, since I might go by myself if no one can join me. Don't mean to hijack this thread but I see that a lot of people are reading it currently.

Edited by Inverseyourself

Andy, you definitely need to approach this area with serious respect, as it can be very dangerous. What route are you planning on taking?

One other point to note is that we overheard someone last night mention that kayaks have recently been banned from the channel due to causing major interference with boat traffic. These would most likely be recreational boaters, and we never paddle in channels other than to cross them, but just understand that you might encounter some resistance to just being on the water in the area.