L1-L2 warmup paddle on the Ipswich River

bbjorn

Join me on Saturday, May 31st, for a paddle through the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in my hometown, Topsfield Mass. This is an unspoiled and beautiful stretch of the river just a few miles before it meets the Atlantic, full of many bird species including blue heron, egrets, and red-winged blackbirds. This is the perfect time of year for this trip with the recent hatchlings starting to follow mom and dad around. Today I stopped paddling at one point to allow a family of Canada geese to swim past, Dad in front followed by seven identical tan fur balls and Mom bringing up the rear and keeping everyone in a tight formation.

The river meanders through twists and turns and oxbows to give you lots of practice in boat handling, edging and turning in a serene setting with relatively warm water. The perfect opportunity for you and your boat to get well acquainted before heading into a more challenging environment offshore.

We will plan to meet at the launch at 9AM because of limited parking that can fill up early this time of year.

You should expect to get wet. A wetsuit is recommended although not a necessity. Layers of polypropylene, fleece, and other synthetic fabrics will suffice. Do NOT wear any cotton clothing as it will make you cold when it's wet. You should also have a warm fleece top and a windbreaker. A spray skirt is optional but recommended as it will help keep your legs dry and warm. A PFD is a requirement and must be worn.

Bring a lunch and water. You may also want sunblock, repellent, hat and sunglasses.

PLEASE RSVP here or on the Calendar if interested.

I'm still debating where we will meet and launch, so check back here for further details and directions.

Blaine

Thanks Lisa for noticing the omission! Note the time of the original post -- way past my bedtime!

Hi, Blaine.

I look forward to joining you and Lisa on Saturday, but I need directions to the launch site. I will be driving north from Medford, MA.

Thanks.

Ann

Hi Ann

So far it's just you, David Carroll, Rob Folster, and me. I was late posting this trip and am still hoping we can get a couple more to join us.

I'll post directions to the launch site by Friday once we know who's on board and how far everyone is comfortable paddling. There are several put-in/ take-out options with different distances. Ideally, I'd like us to paddle one-way, downstream with the current (just under 1 knot), then do a 15-min. shuttle to retrieve cars. That way we'd see a lot more of the sanctuary for the same amount of effort. The alternative is to start at the lower end, paddle upstream a distance, then turn around and paddle back with the current. I'd be ok with either.

Please tell me about your paddling experience to help me decide what length of trip will be appropriate so you're neither bored nor exhausted. Shooting for something in between.

Blaine

Hi, Blaine.

I attended the NSPN New to Kayaking workshop in May 2013. Last summer I paddled on Spot Pond in Stoneham because I didn't have any equipment. I usually paddled for about two hours, three times a week. I took some lessons with the Osprey folks in Westport, on the river and in a salt marsh. I bought my Avocet LV in late summer. This winter I went to two pool sessions with Osprey to begin to learn how to roll. I've been on the Mystic Lakes, the NSPN Level II trip from Pavillon Beach in Ipswich to Crane's Beach, and a trip in Salem Sound. If you have more questions, please give me a call. (781.396.2694)

Ann

I am really sorry everyone, but I found out this evening that I have to work on Saturday. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with some of you on the 14th.

We now have five of us signed up for tomorrow: Ann, Julie, Lai Yee, Dave, and myself.

The forecast for tomorrow is for showers in the mid-50's, but don't let that discourage you. Paddling is a WET sport! We just have to dress appropriately with layers of NON-COTTON clothing that can be pared down if we get too warm (bring a plastic bag to store them in). I'll try to bring some extra layers to lend out if anyone needs more.

In my experience, rainy days are often the most beautiful. Plus, we'll have more of the river to ourselves. Be sure to bring a raincoat or poncho as well as a hat to help keep your head warm.

I recommend everyone also bring a thermos of hot soup, cocoa, or tea in addition to lunch.

Let's meet at 9AM in downtown Topsfield, on Route 97, in front of the large white church facing the town green. We can then caravan to the put-in after we decide what amount of paddling everyone will be comfortable with.

If you need to contact me in the morning you can reach me at 978-887-5218 until about 8:30. After that, call my cell phone, 617-921-6629.

Until then, please post here if you have any questions.

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

Blaine

I am really sorry everyone, but I found out this evening that I have to work on Saturday. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with some of you on the 14th.

Not a problem, Rob. Sorry you can't make it but we have a good group.

Forecast is improving -- looks like we may be getting some sun and warming temps by the time we launch, around 10:

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/USMA0423?pagenum=2&nextbeginIndex=6

Hi Blaine-

Just so that I can put the meeting spot in the GPS, since I am not too familiar with the area... are you talking about this church?

The Congregational Church of Topsfield
9 E Common St
Topsfield, MA 01983
In case anyone else needs to add an address to their GPS too...
See you all tomorrow
Julie

Hi Julie

Yes, that's the church. It's the only one for miles around so figured it'd be hard to miss. I'm strictly a map and compass guy so it didn't even occur to me that the address might be helpful for you GPS types!

Thanks for the info!

Blaine

Gee, I had no idea the generational /technological divide had gotten so wide. My son just now showed me how to get coordinates in Google Maps. Hadn't stopped to consider that not everyone has a glove compartment full of dog-eared maps to get them where they're going.

So I'm glad you called, Ann, and helped bridge the gulf!

Blaine

Hadn't stopped to consider that not everyone has a glove compartment full of dog-eared maps to get them where they're going.

Blaine, to make matter's worse, people who don't use paper (such as books, newspapers, magazines, note pads, etc.), won't know what "dog-eared" means!

I really enjoyed meeting and paddling with all of you yesterday. I do like my solo trips on the river, but it was a lot of fun having you along to share it with. I hope all of you will continue signing up for trips and expanding your skills.

I want to also encourage you to take advantage of the lake practice sessions where other more experienced paddlers can help you learn and perfect strokes, rescues, and boat handling skills you will need for higher level trips.

Please consider joining the fun on June 21st for the annual Solstice Paddle and Post-Paddle Potluck Pigout at Devereux Beach, Marblehead. There will be separate trips for L2, L2+, and L3 level paddlers. I hope you can all be there.

Blaine