rfolster

Paddling the New England coast can be a challenge as the water struggles to get out of the sixties in the heat of the summer, let alone the freezing cold of winter. Hypothermia, or the loss of body temperature, is a constant threat to those of us who venture onto the ocean. I was recently asked about what gear I carry in a hypo-kit for the prevention and simple treatment of hypothermia. It is an ever-changing list, and I thought I would share my most recent iteration:

Packable size XXL synthetic insulated jacket (preferably one with a hood) to wear on land (pre-launch, lunch, post-landing)
Fleece gloves to wear on land
Fleece hat to wear on land
Extra size XXL down jacket
Extra winter gloves (like a light-weight ski glove) or mittens
Extra neoprene hood
Extra neoprene gloves
Extra synthetic shirt
Extra synthetic pants
Extra insulating layers
Extra synthetic or wool socks
A storm cag
Reusable hand warmers
Synthetic insulated blanket and/or down blanket
A reusable space-foil bivy sack
My camping bivy sack
A small sil-nylon tarp
The Terra Nova Superlite Bothy 4 shelter
Half of a yoga mat (the one I use to stand on when changing to protect the dry suit feet) as a ground insulation layer
A Crazy Creek camp chair (ground insulation layer when opened flat)
A Pocket-Rocket stove, canister of fuel, and small pot for recharging hand warmers or making tea
Extra food/snacks in my lunch bag

Usually, when I paddle with Cathy or other friends that have similar gear, we will split up or consolidate some of the stuff since there is no need to carry duplicates of everything. Although my list is extensive, most of the stuff is compactable so it does not take up a considerable amount of room ("considerable" being subjective). If anyone has done the cold water clinics with Suz Hutchinson and Scott Camlin, you will understand where some of this obsession comes from. My own desire to have such a complete hypo-kit stems from my desire to be a future guide for groups that would not be as well prepared as some NSPNers usually are.

Don't feel you need to rush out and buy a bunch of special equipment just for the hypo kit. If you are a camper (or want to be), then you are most of the way there. If you are purchasing specific equipment, determine where quality maters, and where economy is acceptable. A cheap sleeping bag may be difficult to pack (poor compression), however an inexpensive down blanket will pack well and quality is not a concern since it will not be on your bed every night. Here are some camp items that can be repurposed into a hypo kit:

Sleeping bag used as a blanket or warming bag
Tent footprint (the protective liner that goes under a tent) as a ground layer against moisture
Tent fly (or outer layer that goes over a tent) as a quick pullover group shelter
Tarp can be useful for keeping a group dry in a quick shower, or wrapping an individual to help keep them warm
Sleeping mat as an insulating layer
Folding camp chair (ie: Crazy Creek or something similar) as a ground insulation layer

Another tip for hypo-kit gear is to look for the end-of-season sales and closeouts for items that don't sell well because of color or size. Getting a big discount on a down or synthetic jacket in an XXL or larger is typical as the spring approaches. Finding an inexpensive insulated blanket might be possible if you get a green one with yellow polka dots and purple unicorns. The point is, this is equipment you hope to never have to use. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to function if you should ever need it.

Anyone looking to put together their own hypo kits needs to think in two separate terms. The first is to think primarily about yourself, and what you would want to have on hand to keep yourself warm, or for others to use to get you warm if you were to become hypothermic. Second is what you can use to help others stay warm or get warm if they were to be come hypothermic. That is why I carry two jackets: I will typically use the synthetic at lunchtime, but if someone else needs a jacket, they get the synthetic and I get the down (yes, I'm selfish, but it's MY jacket darn it!!). It is the same with the blankets: if someone else needs a blanket, they will most likely end up with the synthetic, and I will hold onto the down in case I need it. If I know that everyone on a trip is brining there own hypo kit, then the need for multiple items decreases and I might pare down a bit, depending on the conditions of the day.

Rob,

Wow, I know you had your complete kit with you on Saturday, and it does fit comfortably into your hatches. You clearly can pack and unpack the boat in an efficient manner, so there is no real down side.

I will admit I am not an experienced day trip kayaker. For me, my kit is a full camping kit. Therefore, I really enjoyed reading how to repurpose my camping kit. The use of the tent footprint is brillant!

Rob, inquiring minds would like to know how you maintain your active yoga practice with only half a mat?!

Warren

Edited by Warren

Hi Rob-

Interesting points. Do you bring that entire list on your winter paddles? Seems like there's quite a bit of redundancy, particularly when it comes to shelter.

If I'm paddling with a group of competent paddlers i.e not expressly leading, my winter kit is:

1 pair hat and mittens for shore, often stuffed in my drysuit when paddling

1 synthetic fill oversized coat, and if it's above freezing my storm cag

1 pair synthetic puffy pants (for inside the drysuit if I need to sit a long while)

2 pair of neoprene hood/beanie and 2 pair gloves

1 pair of pogies

1/2 of a thermaridge pad (sit pad)

an extremely small and light weight bivy

two contractor size garbage bags

1 compact 4 person shelter

1 large thermos of hot tea or a jetboil like stove

reusable heat packs (4)

The best way to treat hypothermia is to manage exposure so that you don't get cold. Lots of breaks, lots of snacks, hot food and hot liquids. And If everyone has a hypo kit then you can use the cold persons gear to warm them.

And it's just me, but I really think that down gear is unlikely to stay dry when used in an emergency scenario during paddling. I can't see down really keeping it's loft wrapped around a paddler who took too long a swim.

best

Phil

Rob, inquiring minds would like to know how you maintain your active yoga practice with only half a mat?!

Half-heartedly! Ha-ha!!!

Phil, some of the items listed are new, and I am still figuring out what I will always bring and what I won't, but for the most part, that is a complete list for winter paddling. I have considered the multiple shelters issue, and considered a situation that might require a single person needing and extended warm up. For those who know what a hypothermia burrito wrap is, keeping that bundle as well as additional paddlers protected under one 4-person bothy would be difficult. I would put the hypo-burrito into the bivy, and put the rest of the group into the shelter next to them, with a rotating watch on the person in the bivy. That way, the rest of the group does not become pre-hypothermic while waiting for the one to recover. Is this scenario really a stretch, I don't know, but I also don't want to find out the hard way. Who knows, maybe after carrying around all this stuff year after year will get me to reconsider.

As for the argument against down, I have given it some long consideration and came up with my own conclusion. If a person is wet enough to soak the down, then there is too much water for them to ever warm up. It would actually be better to remove all wet clothing before wrapping them, and even to dry them off as best as possible to prevent evaporative cooling. That makes me want to add a shammy towel or two to my kit. So, the process continues....

Rob,

Not to worry, I have an extra yoga mat for you!

As we talk about preparations we all take to prepare for problems while paddling on the ocean during the winter months, I need to add my favorite. I like to launch from Winslow Park and Campgrounds in Freeport, Maine because of the help provided by the Park Manager, Neil Lyman. Neil seems to truly understand the risks an ocean kayaker can encounter and always offers to me his services to provide a rescue. He has a motor boat in the ready to motor out to one of the islands and pick up us. So having Neil's cell phone number in my phone is my favorite solution.

Warren

Edited by Warren