Outfitting Workshop - 1-29 & 30 - Location Update

Brian Nystrom

Once again through the generosity of Richard Najarian we have a location for an outfitting workshop.

Date: January 29 & 30, 2005.

***UPDATE***

We will be in the same building and units as last year.

ADDRESS:

Waverly Oaks Industrial/Retail/Office Park, 411 Waverly Oaks Rd. (Route 60), Waltham.

Note: Facing the long building that runs parallel to Waverly Oaks Road, we will be using the last two loading dock doors on the right end of the building.

NSPN signs will be posted on the loading dock doors.

DIRECTIONS:

From Rt. 128, take the Trapelo Road exit and head east. Rt. 60 will be a right turn off Trapelo Road. The Waverly Oaks Park is the large retail/industial complex on the left side of Rt. 60, shortly after you make the turn from Trapelo Road. It's pretty hard to miss.

Time: 9AM - 5PM both days.

There isn't anything in the way of food or drinks within walking distance of the workshop, so it's advisable to bring your own. There are pleny of choices within reasonable dirving distance.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR SAFETY GEAR. ORGANIC VAPOR RESPIRATORS ARE A MUST!

***END UPDATE***

The location is huge and we can easily accommodate 20 boats or more. Those interested in participating should post here. If anyone is interested in assisting, even for part of a day, please let me know.

As with previous workshops, we will concentrate on deck rigging, foam padding installation and similar operations. It will also be possible to do some minor repairs, such as skeg cables, removal/repair of seats, etc.

If you're interested, please post here with your name, how many boats you intend to bring, what type of work you would like to do and any supplies you will need. I will have the following supplies available:

- Black and white deck line

- Black bungee cord

- Wooden balls for deck rigging

- Minicel pump blocks for under-deck mounting

- Minicel foam in various thicknesses

Feel free to bring anything else you need. Unfortunately, the Boat US store at near the workshop location is closed, so the closest supplier is probably West Marine in Woburn. If you need something and can't find it, post it here and we'll see if we can find a source for you.

Safety equipment is required at these workshop. If you're going to do any gluing, you'll need safety glasses and an organic vapor respirator. Both are available for reasonable prices a home centers, hardware stores and paint stores. Latex, nitrile or rubber gloves are also a good idea.

See you there!

Brian

Participant list

....................Saturday...Sunday

Mike Hirsch.............X........X

Leslie Beale............X........X

Glenn...................X........X

Bethany..........................X

John Leonard............X........X

Jeff Casey..............X........X

Richard Najarian........X........X

Ralph Cohn..............X

Miriam Levine...........X

Karen Gladstone.........X

Christopher Godfrey.....X........X

Walter Mears............X........X

Scott Camlin............X........X

Suzanne Pritchett................X

Alan Hammersmith.................X

Deb Dempesy.............X

Rick Crangle............X........X

Liz Neumeier.....................X

glenn is planning on being there 1/29

glenn and I will be there 1/30

and mainly need to do some foam form fitting (say that ten times fast!) to a plastic Avocet and glass Montauk.

I could use some advice on my radio to PDF attachment too.

--b

Indeed, the material is actually "Brian's Finest Foam" (white).

The cushion is fabricated using 3-4 layers of 1"-3" foam.

Complete credit for fabrication technique goes to Brian.

I used his recommended adhesive and tools for assembly and shaping.

After laminating the foam blocks to the approximate desired shape you begin the initial rough trimming and sanding. Once you're satisfied with the shape to fit the inside contour of your boat you begin the task of carefully custom shaping for personal comfort followed by finishing with multiple coatings of Plasti-Dip.

Plasti-Dip is available in many colors and may be mixed to create just about any other color.

I've found "The Quilters Husband" to be the most reliable source (price & service) for Plasti-Dip.

I diluted the Plasti-Dip with their thinner and used a brush to paint multiple coats on to the backrest. After an initial thin coating, I used undiluted Plasti-Dip to fill seams and imperfections in the foam. Because the undiluted material is very viscous, my primary tools for filling were a chop stick, thin coffee stirrer and tooth pick. When your satisfied with your "pot hole" filling, paint about 3-4 (or more) additional thin coats of plastisol to produce a smooth finish. You'll notice the finish improve with each coat. Tip: I waited 24 hours between coats.

Although you have a choice of solvents for diluting, I found the "Plasti-Dip" thinner (mixture of three different solvents) to be best.

No longer having to deal with a back strap is fantastic!

Richard N

Living to learn.

Romany, White with Blue trim

Thanks Brian for putting this together. I probably will show in the late morning sat.

I'd like to;

install the little wooden balls,

put on a new skeg line. Mine is too small gauge

fix the coaming blemishes with gel coat if possible.

assess my bottom...the hull, that is...to consider a keel strip

Karen

I'll be there on sunday the 30th with my Andromeda. I'd like to redo my deck lines (they're too short) and add wooden balls. Also like to look into the black grip tape you used on your boat to prevent scratches to the deck. That was slick! Also like to look at options for bungee rigging and foam padding, but probably won't do anything with those.

Thanks for putting this on!

Alan

CD Andromeda - red on white

Riot Boogie - purple - floating to Iceland

Dagger Id 6.9 - blue/black