Club Leader(ship) & Competent Paddler Training Program Introduction (April 14th 7:00pm)

rfolster

WHEN: Thursday, April 14th @ 7:00pm
WHERE: Zoom link to be posted on the NSPN Business forum soon
WHO: Any active NSPN member of any experience

The term "Leader" is often associated with one person in front of the group making all of the decisions, so we often (and in my opinion, unnecessarily) shy away from using the term.  Instead, we tend to focus on leadership, where multiple people with varying skill sets can come together to provide a successful outcome.  This means that, even though someone might not have all of the skills to be labeled a "leader", they may still participate in some type of leadership role with the skills they do have.

The concept of leadership within an organization like NSPN is a vast and complicated topic.  Unlike a professional (paid) leader, or a volunteer "assigned" leader in some leader-led organizations, leadership within NSPN tends to be more fluid among various members on a trip.  If you have been in the club for a while, this idea might sound familiar, and maybe even a bit controversial, but I am looking at a new approach to the idea that aims to improve the dynamics of groups on the water as well as the development and usage of leadership within the club.

I would like to invite any and all club members to participate in a Zoom presentation about a new training program designed to help club members become more involved participants on NSPN trips, gain leadership skills and experience within the club, or provide others with opportunities to learn and develop their participation and leadership skills.  Please come listen, ask questions, and think about whether or not this program might be right for you.

AMC is also offering free leadership training via Zoom for anyone who wants to learn more about these topics - no need to be an AMC member. Unfortunately, the first session is the same time as Rob's, but you can probably jump in for the later ones. I found their in-person leadership training to be very well thought out and useful, and I will probably be doing the online Zoom sessions as a refresher. Leadership Training 2022

Thanks, Dan.  To clarify, the program I am introducing will be interactive, utilizing remote, in-person, and on-water sessions.  The Zoom session is merely an introduction for members to get an idea of what it is about, and decide if it is something they wish to pursue.

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect to Dan (and the AMC), I was once on an AMC trip up at Beal's Island and was unimpressed with their organizational attitude/skills.  The best part of the weekend was the side-trip that some of us attending NSPN members made up into the narrows above the camp.  A group of us went up there to join forces and paddling the Sheepscot was the main event; but...leadership?  Hmm...

Much better to learn through NSPN!  Somewhere I still have all my leadership training notes from Scott Camlin; but -- sorry -- I'm not sure I know where to find them right now.

• rfolster changed the title to Club Leader(ship) & Competent Paddler Training Program Introduction (April 14th 7:00pm)
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that this virtual event is tomorrow night.  Plenty of room in the conversation if anyone else would like to join in.  Let me know.

18 minutes ago, Ricardo Caivano said:

Love to join but we have another commitment for tonight.  Would this be taped? 

No, the training program will be individualized to participants, but we can definitely do another session.  Let me contact you and Don via PM and see what works.