Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum "KAJAK!" exhibition

Last week my wife and I drove to the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum & Arctic Studies Center in Brunswick, ME. The museum is small but very interesting. We went to see their "Kajak!" exhibition and really enjoyed.  From their website: (https://www.bowdoin.edu/arctic-museum/exhibits/2020/kayak-exhibition.html) "Inspired by the full-sized Nunatsiavut kayak given to the College in 1891 and on display in the museum gallery for over 50 years, this exhibit explores making and using traditional kayaks from Greenland, Labrador, and beyond. It features over 20 model kayaks and umiaks, as well as associated equipment, historic film and photographs, and the centerpiece of the exhibit, a full size replica of the 1891 Kajak created for this exhibit."

Be aware that the Museum is open by reservation only and they did check our vaccination status! We also looked at the Museum of Art next door (photos from Marcia Resnick, Jona Frank and a small, but good exhibition of Wabanaki basket making). On the way back we stopped in Freeport, ME (Patagonia and the North Face outlet stores and a huge L.L Bean among others) and bought a nice porter to take home at the Maine Beer Company. A very good day.

If you don't have time to go there, at least check the virtual exhibit and films at their site.

Ricardo,

Thanks for the great reference. Headed up that way in June and will stop by.

I tried clicking on the link above and it did not work.  I think it has an extra "." at the end that does not show.  I copied and pasted the following link and it worked. https://www.bowdoin.edu/arctic-museum/exhibits/2020/kayak-exhibition.html

Al

Edited by alcoons

Good stuff!

I particularly enjoyed Peary’s “how not to roll a kayak”. Not sure if he was just naive or arrogant to think that he could sit in a kayak and roll after observing a few rolls by an Inuit. Could have easily ended up in “Deep Trouble” without rapid help from the rowboat. I guess that’s the trait that made him a true explorer, chapeau!

Fascinating museum, especially for the boat builders among us (not me).

Unfortunately, the Kajak! exhibition only runs through the end of May. The museum is open by appointment 10-5, Tues-Fri. Might be an opportunity for a Jewell-bound pod to visit and then launch from Harpswell or that area. Bonus points for a visit to Peary's house on Eagle Island, which is never open in May, and closed for mold remediation in 2021/2022. But there's an online audio tour that might be worth bringing along: HOME | pearyseagleisland (pearyeagleisland.org)

They made a mistake on their site. James Tanzer, the Museum Outreach Coordinator confirmed to me via email that the kayak exhibit will remain in the museum until sometime in November, 2022. He hopes my "kayaking friends have a chance to visit us before then." They will fix the error. 

19 hours ago, Inverseyourself said:

I particularly enjoyed Peary’s “how not to roll a kayak”.

Looked like he was having a great time though, apart from the not breathing. Reminded me of some rolls I missed...

On 3/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jim Snyder said:

Looked like he was having a great time though, apart from the not breathing. Reminded me of some rolls I missed...

Some things never change. Most want to run before they can crawl. I added this to my summer list visit list.