New to Sea Kayaking Workshop 2021

The NSPN board is enthusiastic about bringing back the NTSKW this year but it shouldn't be just a board project. Weigh in here if you want to be a planner, facilitator, or have ideas to help promote and make it a success. 

@Dan Foster posted a terrific idea in a different members-only thread which I hope he will recap here. His summary was:

Here's an alternate vision for a way to introduce new people to the club - perhaps it will get some traction now that we're re-imagining many aspects of the club after a year of disruption.

NSPN should host an annual two-day event toward the beginning of the paddling season that aims to be THE must-attend sea kayaking event in Massachusetts. Call it a symposium, an open house, or just a paddling party. It should be enticing enough that most of the club membership makes it part of their annual planning. It should be open to the public, with enough incentives and benefits that the event spreads by word of mouth after the first year.

He went on to say much, much more and hopefully he will chime in here and reproduce. It included trips, socializing, skills practice, gear swaps and building bridges with other organizations that support paddling.

While this shouldn't be just a board project, I think the board has an important role in getting it off the ground and designating one or two folks to make it actually happen.

While the BOD works on locations, we are open to suggestions! 

We would love a place that has shade or a pavillion of some sort (that can be reserved), picnic tables, bathrooms/porta potties, adequate parking and (ideally!) water access either fresh or salty.

Have a suggestion or an in somewhere? Post it here or contact one of us on the BOD.

Since this is being slated as a NTSK Workshop, it might have more visibility on the General Message Board?  The 2 Day NSPN Symposium that Dan suggested is a great idea.  While I'm a beginner paddler myself and don't get out all that often, I would be happy to help facilitate a NTSKW in terms of providing additional on water support for wet exits, edging, paddle strokes, rolling etc.  I also could bring an extra boat.

Edited by BigBird